Has a restaurant critic ever actually sunk a restaurant?

It's such a common sitcom trope, but it's so weird.

Comments

• edited 2016-09-05 15:55:38
    I mean, if it was one of those mega-expensive restaurants that set up business in some tiny Italian village and attract rich people from all over due to allegedly serving the best pasta on the planet or whatever, a single bad review might fuck everything up.

But if it's like, a normal moderately-fancy restaurant, it does seem a bit far-fetched. I'd imagine bad yelp reviews would be more of an issue than professional critics these days, for most places.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    has a movie critic ever actually sunk a movie?

has a music critic ever actually sunk an artist/album?

has a game critic ever actually sunk a game?

has a ship critic ever actually sunk a ship?
  • > has a game critic ever actually sunk a game?

[Ronald McDonald drives a car speedily, while the camera is affixed to the car and focuses on Ronald McDonald, who looks at the camera, and says "lol, #gamergate".  Max Coveri's "Running in the 90s" plays.]
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

has a music critic ever actually sunk an artist/album?

Dahlen is the author of one of Pitchfork's most memorable – and notorious – reviews. In a September 2004 write-up of Travistan, the solo debut of Travis Morrison (former frontman of the Pitchfork-approved art-punk group the Dismemberment Plan), Dahlen gave the album a score of 0.0, declaring that it "fails so bizarrely that it's hard to guess what Morrison wanted to accomplish in the first place."

According to Josh Rosenfeld, the cofounder of Barsuk Records (which released Travistan), the effects of Dahlen's review were immediate and disastrous. Several college radio stations that had initially been enthusiastic said they wouldn't play it. "One indie record store even said that they wouldn't carry it because of the Pitchfork review," Rosenfeld says. "Not because they heard it – because of the review."

Dahlen says the review wasn't intended as a display of Pitchfork's might or an attempt to take a once-beloved musician down a peg or two. "It really was me driving home from Pennsylvania for eight hours," he says, "listening to this again and again, just sitting there like, 'This is relentlessly bad.'"

Two years after the furor ignited by the Travistan write-up, the site has become more careful about doling out such brutal reviews, says Pitchfork's managing editor, Scott Plagenhoef. When Pitchfork reviewers took on Morrison, he says, they were no longer "little guys on the Internet throwing rocks at big artists" – they were picking on one of their own. Though Plagenhoef says the site has to be more cautious about the power it wields, he still downplays Pitchfork's ability to make or break new bands. "We probably accelerate the process," he concedes. "But people will like what they're going to like regardless of how they found out about it."

He isn't the only one who's skeptical about the idea of a "Pitchfork effect." So are some of the bands that have received raves from the site. "Putting too much weight in somebody else's opinion of a piece of art, that is a dangerous thing," says Richard Reed Parry, a musician for Arcade Fire, whose album Funeral received a rapturous 9.7 rating from the site. "It's just a reaction. It's the last piece of the cultural puzzle, not the most important part."

Still, it isn't hard to find evidence of the impact that Pitchfork has on music journalism. In the record-review formula used by the aggregator site Metacritic.com, which calculates a weighted score drawn from nearly 50 different publications, a review from Pitchfork is given as much weight as a review from Rolling Stone.

http://www.wired.com/2006/09/pitchfork/

• metacritic again proven to be pretty useless
    ugh, Pitchfork
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm pretty sure Metacritic also gives the same weight to Line of Best Fit and The Quietus, so no, it's not a bad measure of overall critical temperature, at least with respect to music. And Pitchfork is extremely influential, like it or not.

In fact, I was about to mention Travistan, but I forgot the title and the musician in question somehow.
    Pitchfork is influential only because hipster idiots take it seriously.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

Pitchfork is influential only because hipster idiots take it seriously.

Pitchfork is in a unique position as one of the biggest names reviewing independent music, which by its nature doesn't get much exposure. So a review from Pitchfork may not mean much for, say, the Beastie Boys—but for some garage rock band from Kokomo, Indiana, a review from Ptchfork may be their only hope of becoming the next Arcade Fire.
  • edited 2016-09-05 20:40:51
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm pretty sure that most of the people who take Pitchfork seriously nowadays aren't "hipster idiots," just well-meaning people who don't know a lot about independent music or what makes a good music review and want to find new things.

^ This is also true.
    nah man, hipster idiots.
  • edited 2016-09-05 22:23:10

I'm pretty sure Metacritic also gives the same weight to Line of Best Fit and The Quietus, so no, it's not a bad measure of overall critical temperature, at least with respect to music. And Pitchfork is extremely influential, like it or not.

In fact, I was about to mention Travistan, but I forgot the title and the musician in question somehow.

I personally don't know Metacritic well at all -- emphasis on at all -- when it comes to music.

But I do know that they're near-pointless when it comes to videogames.  The whole score aggregation thing turns out to be really stupid, and at best only serves as a way to encourage people to read the text of the reviews.  At worst it passes judgement on games using a bunch of arbitrary and artifact-introducing calculations that themselves use a biased selection of reviews.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Because video game journalism is actually even worse than music and television journalism, which is in turn even worse than film journalism.