If you can't get over ET's appearance, you've proven you are a cruel and shallow person

This is obejctively true, and you are going to have to live with it.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    that movie scared me when I was a calf
  • the police were the bad guys, deeply upsetting my wee self
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Never watched it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Crystal said:

Never watched it.

• We can do anything if we do it together.

Crystal said:

Never watched it.

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    iirc they put it on for us at school during a rainy day, i got freaked out by the first 5 minutes or so and then shortly after the rain cleared up and we got sent back outside, i never did watch it through
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When my school would have indoor recess, my third grade teacher would always put on "The Cartoon Network"

She always included the definite article like that
    I might watch it again someday, when I have the courage.
    i really liked 'wet play', which meant indoor play in which nobody got wet (we didn't call it recess, we called it playtime)

we got to play with lego and read books, and there were teachers supervising us constantly

i was always disappointed when the rain was too short, or too mild, for them to call a wet play.  then we just got cold and miserable.
    We got indoor recess whenever there was:

(a) rain
    (b) snow
    (c) temperatures too cold to safely go out and play

...in middle school we had time outside, but they didn't call it recess, it was just the second half of our lunch period
    Snow is so rare here that we were all super excited when it snowed even lightly, and they wouldn't send us in for that

i think we got snow that settled, like, once that i can recall, during my primary school years?  and on that occasion school was cancelled
    the primary issue is that snow makes the asphalt slippery, which renders it unsafe for running around the playground like kids do

oh, and i almost forgot, we also had "asphalt-only" recesses when the grass was muddy but the pavement was ok
    we got banned from the grass for most of the year round to stop it getting messed up, it sucked
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

iirc they put it on for us at school during a rainy day, i got freaked out by the first 5 minutes or so and then shortly after the rain cleared up and we got sent back outside, i never did watch it through

I saw The Princess Bride at school, which was fun.

I got it confused with The Princess Diaries, so I thought I was going to be bored.
    Did somebody say Princess? :D
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    We never had indoor recess - we just played under the covered area, which was basically just a big roof over an area of asphalt. 
  • Tachyon said:

i really liked 'wet play', which meant indoor play in which nobody got wet (we didn't call it recess, we called it playtime)

we got to play with lego and read books, and there were teachers supervising us constantly

i was always disappointed when the rain was too short, or too mild, for them to call a wet play.  then we just got cold and miserable.

saaaaaame, indoor recess was great

I mean, probably if we had it all the time it would be different, but as a Rare Experience it was pretty great

we could play cards and also it was the rare chance where they just let us do whatever on the computers we had in class (granted there were far more students than computers so only a couple people got that)
    in year 6 we got to play Rogue Squadron (or if we preferred, Zoombinis. but i rarely saw anyone choose that) on the computer as a reward for good behaviour, providing we'd finished all the work

prior to that though, i was only ever aware of there being one computer in the school, it had like a couple math games on it with the eye-searing graphics computers used to have and as far as i ever knew that was it
    My elementary school had G3 iMacs and we always played Bugdom

My teacher got real pissy if we tried to save games for whatever reason

I think she overestimated how much space a Bugdom saved game takes up on a hard drive; it's the only way it makes sense

Thankfully she never figured out how to empty the Trash, so we'd just fish our saved games out of the Trash when we wanted to play again
    You sound like you were a lot more tech-literate back then than i was at that age.
  • Yeah my elementary school had Macs in all the classrooms. I think my favourite "game" from that period was HyperStudio, which is not a game (but is amazing, and we used it to make "games").

There was also Math Circus, the actual best computer game of all time, but fsr I don't have any memory of playing that in indoor recess though I certainly played it on other occasions at school.
  • edited 2016-09-04 23:12:31
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't recognize Math Circus but going by screenshots it looks like the kind of game we did have

• edited 2016-09-04 23:17:34
    Apparently there is a version you can play in a browser.

Though actually I think I played Math Circus 2 more than the first one.

Edit: I think that screenshot is actually Math Circus 3, which we didn't have.
    I played a lot of Kid Pix

Also some game where you had to identify coins so you could play some pac man thing for like, one life.
  • Odradek said:

oh yeah, that too

Odradek said:

oh yeah, that too

I like how our indoor recess nostalgia completely hijacked this thread
    I enjoyed playing Zoombinis, and that one game with the robot on an alien planet trying to do stuff and things, and Marble Blast, and some others.
  • I had a friend who was really into Zoombinis, but I never played it myself except a little bit at her house.
    Crystal said:

I enjoyed playing Zoombinis, and that one game with the robot on an alien planet trying to do stuff and things, and Marble Blast, and some others.

Was it Spiderbot?

• edited 2016-09-04 23:31:15
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Nope. It was 3D. With platforming too if I recall.
  • i watched one of the Alien movies as a kid, without knowing what it was

it was scary, but all i remember from it is the following:
    1. aliens may have highly corrosive acidic blood
    2. artichokes can swallow humans head-first
  • man what is this "indoor recess" silliness.

I went to a Catholic school. Unless it was raining or snowing you went outside and had recess in the fucking parking lot. If it was raining, too fucking bad, you just sat in your classroom and read.
  • kill living beings
    my middle school banned tag

tbh tragic
  • you were deprived

our indoor recesses were set up so we'd effectively have lunch in the classroom for an hour and they'd put something on the TV (usually PBS, sometimes Disney Channel if we were lucky)

though the ultimate one had to be during my second (ish) grade year when a freak snowstorm ended up making them shut down midway through the day, and without means of transportation for most of the students we just kinda stayed in, ate food, chilled out and watched a ton of movies

Balto and The Pebble and the Penguin were among them, and I want to say The Secret of NIMH was there too but I don't think it was showing on our classroom's TV
    I always really enjoyed lunch in the classrooms because even my desks were much more comfortable than the seating.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

My elementary school had G3 iMacs and we always played Bugdom

My teacher got real pissy if we tried to save games for whatever reason

I think she overestimated how much space a Bugdom saved game takes up on a hard drive; it's the only way it makes sense

Thankfully she never figured out how to empty the Trash, so we'd just fish our saved games out of the Trash when we wanted to play again

Pangea Software!
  • this thread makes me remember the fact that during every recess i just walked in circles talking to myself
  • this thread makes me remember the fact that during every recess i just walked in circles talking to myself

did u go to my school
    I kept to myself during recess but I at least kept myself occupied playing make believe

The big playground at the school I did 2nd-3rd grade at? It was a huge department store, in my imagination
    I was on the swings a lot.

One time I fell off, and that's when I understood what the phrase "knocked the wind out of me" meant

this thread makes me remember the fact that during every recess i just walked in circles talking to myself

I did this a lot.
    Odradek said:

I was on the swings a lot.

One time I fell off, and that's when I understood what the phrase "knocked the wind out of me" meant
    I wasn't at a school with swings until 4th grade, for whatever reason
    It wasn't until about 5th grade that I really got into the swing of swings
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Swings were my childhood.

Not jumping off them. I was a wussy little thing.
    I used to jump off 'em.

Literally the most daring thing I've ever done in life
  • Swings were my childhood.

Not jumping off them. I was a wussy little thing.

Probably a good thing really. Jumping off a swing was how I got my first set of stitches.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    It was all about the tire swing, though. 

Normal swings are fun and all, but tire swings were my true childhood. 
    High-wings Erieri
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    There was a swing out in the backyard of this house when my uncle lived here that was just a plank on a rope tied up over twenty feet on a tree by the river and it was amazing.