I will believe anything that anyone tells me about Animorphs

Tagged:

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I read some of Applegate's other series and it was dark and disturbing enough to make all of these assertions extremely likely.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Deboss
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    I've read one book in the Everworld series, but there was certainly nothing in it quite like this...
  • edited 2016-09-01 01:43:02
    that person's background pic looks pretty snazzy though

all i remember of animorphs is that the covers always were a human transforming into some non-human animal

and the fully-animalized version was always partly a clear plastic window to the first page that showed the animal interacting as an animal
    Odradek said:

Deboss

i have disgraced myself
  • the rat child was evil just fyi
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Yarrun told me I missed everything
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-01 05:53:16
    I've read the whole series and most of it's still on my bookshelf back at my parent's house.  All of those things definitely happen, some of them frequently.

I've read one book in the Everworld series, but there was certainly nothing in it quite like this...

Erm.  Everworld was almost worse about this stuff, man.
    I read the first... five books of the Remnants series, I think. There are scenes which literally talk place in Bosch's vision of Hell, and aliens with flechette guns that rip people into a mist of tiny pieces.
  • kill living beings
    i only got a hold of the first one but it sure seemed promisingly fucked
    Is it ever.

I should try to find those books again. That was wild.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-01 06:06:25
    I seem to remember someone was either a bird or a Hork-Bajir, and his beak got smashed off, and the words "gaping pit of face" graced the narration.

I haven't even read those books in over 10 years, but I remember the gaping pit of face.
  • See, someone else remembers the gaping pit of face!  :)
  • i remember ax talking about how earth guns werent very good at killing you (relatively speaking), but they were certainly good at leaving horrible bloody holes in you
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I never read these books and now I'm wondering how I managed that as a kid
    The first five minutes of the TV series premiere scared me enough that I never watched it again. So I know exactly how I avoided it.

Reading the Remnants books came when I was a bit older and was devoloping a taste for the grotesque. Plus, prose has less of a grip on the audio-visual part of my brain for obvious reasons, as should I prefer not to imagine too much detail, I simply don't.
  • this thread is weird because like

idk

i never was particularly struck by these books in this regard?
    I had a very low tolerance for overt gore when I was little.
    hey me too! i still kinda do
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I just noticed this is in Chocolate

Which is hilarious to my sleepy self
    Still, "gaping pit of face" is pretty stark and nasty for a kid's book. I mean, if that were animated or filmed and it were a human, or even not, that would be Shigurui levels of brutal. Goodbye nose, teeth...
  • Still, "gaping pit of face" is pretty stark and nasty for a kid's book. I mean, if that were animated or filmed and it were a human, or even not, that would be Shigurui levels of brutal. Goodbye nose, teeth...

PICKED UP THE GUN, AND PULLED THE TRIGGER

SURVIVED, BUT WAS SEVERELY DISFIGURED
  • The first five minutes of the TV series premiere scared me enough that I never watched it again.

This is funny because half the reason the TV series failed was because it couldn't translate the feel of the books at all -- at least not without landing squarely in HBO instead of Nickelodeon.
    did it ever turn up in reruns anywhere else? like qubo (which Scholastic owned part of at one point)?
    why's Animorphs so violent
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-01 06:57:25
    Because 90s young adult fiction.

I mean shit, we just had that CYOA thread.  At least Animorphs wasn't usually facepalmingly stupid about it.  I can look back on it and not regret reading it.

Though IIRC they did have a CYOA, and it was pretty much exactly what you'd expect.
    Bee said:

The first five minutes of the TV series premiere scared me enough that I never watched it again.

This is funny because half the reason the TV series failed was because it couldn't translate the feel of the books at all -- at least not without landing squarely in HBO instead of Nickelodeon.

I'm not surprised. Still, though, the opening implied the nastiness well enough to get seven-year-old me hiding behind the couch. I know that the rest of the series was far, far tamer, but hot damn, I was terrified.

Still, "gaping pit of face" is pretty stark and nasty for a kid's book. I mean, if that were animated or filmed and it were a human, or even not, that would be Shigurui levels of brutal. Goodbye nose, teeth...

PICKED UP THE GUN, AND PULLED THE TRIGGER

SURVIVED, BUT WAS SEVERELY DISFIGURED

Art that focuses on the destruction and corruption of the body fascinates me for some reason. I think that's part of my interest in Hamasaki's work: It's more technically brilliant than emotionally accessible, but that fascination with contorted and ruined flesh resonates with me.
  • idk if it's just my crappy 2 in the morning judgement but that is definitely one of my favorite rap things that is rapped
    On the subject of Katherine Applegate: Crenshaw sounds adorable.
  • Bee said:

The first five minutes of the TV series premiere scared me enough that I never watched it again.

now that I think about it I'm surprised it hasn't already been made into a netflix series

I think Animorphs got away with this because there were five billion books and it was about aliens and superscience instead of The Devil's Occult Magic
  • edited 2016-09-01 12:25:28
    My dreams exceed my real life

Hork-Bajir

• Not to be confused with the hrak-bajer, who were a totally original thing my friend made up!!
    Anonus said:

why's Animorphs so violent

in KA Applegate's words
  • Yep. This is all accurate.

The mind-controlling slugs did get killed by oatmeal, though, which was dumb.
  • There were like 30 of these books apparently.

They were among the various things that our school was not officially allowed to carry so I never read them. 

No I read a lot of YA novels about the salem witch trials. Yes, that is a real genre.
    Jane said:

There were like 30 of these books apparently.

They were among the various things that our school was not officially allowed to carry so I never read them. 

No I read a lot of YA novels about the salem witch trials. Yes, that is a real genre.
    there are SO MANY YA BOOKS about the Salem Witch Trials, I don't understand it
  • There was this one villain that looked like a creepy Barney knockoff. He was called the Drode, and his master Crayak was basically Space Sauron.
  • There's that one with like the dark red tinted photograph of a girl on the cover? That's a good one.

I don't know any of these books by name they were basically all the same.
    Does anyone remember the weird books where a girl got sucked into weird dimensions by holiday themed kitsch?
    Jane said:

There's that one with like the dark red tinted photograph of a girl on the cover? That's a good one.

Beyond the Burning Time? I remember liking that one
  • Odradek said:
    Mike

I am going to slowly, carefully, deliberately close this webpage, and then clean my browser history, because I am 800% sure that these books--which I have never heard of before today--are cursed with the curse of an angry god.

I encourage you to do the same.
    I am going to order one of these books to see if my fever dream memories of them are true

I might just check my bookshelf though
  • Jane said:

There's that one with like the dark red tinted photograph of a girl on the cover? That's a good one.

Beyond the Burning Time? I remember liking that one
    no it was an actual photo and it was heavily tinted dark red--same shade all over--and it was a young girl (blonde I think?) looking at the camera.
  • anyway best of intentions inside I think that K.A. Applegate might just be crazy.
    Crenshaw looks great, though. It has a kitty. A biiiig kitty! Who is very sarcastic and droll!

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.