actually

Gurren Lagann is a good show

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Crystal said:

Yeah.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I only watched the first third of it
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    doesn't seem like my kinda thing

it does have some boob, though
  • i watched the last two episodes and the first one and I think it's probably a good show.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Still haven't seen it but I feel like I'll still prefer KLK once I have. It's probably great and I love Imaishi but I'm just not sure.
  • I actually haven't seen it in years and don't know if I'd still like it or not.
  • edited 2016-07-31 23:50:13
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I've seen it twice, albeit around high school both times. I reckon I'd still like it, just not as much the third time around. No comment on KlK since that show is for weebs and also I haven't finished it yet.
  • Crystal said:

I haven't finished it yet.

wow it seems like somebody lost their way
  • Crystal said:

naney wins
  • I also haven't rewatched it but the things that made me like it are still things I like, so.

Crystal said:

naney wins
    Hah, true.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Gurren Lagann feels like a practice run for Imaishi more than anything, which is not terribly surprising considering it was his first series.

Macross Plus was the same for Watanabe, IIRC.
  • the worst thing about the Don't Lose Your Way song is that you get the DONT LOSE YOUR WAAAAYYY stuck in your head, but none of the rest of the song, so it can never resolve itself

source: ever since making that post i've had DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAYYY stuck in my head on loop
  • Gurren Lagann feels like a practice run for Imaishi more than anything, which is not terribly surprising considering it was his first series.

I still need to give Macross Plus a watch.

the worst thing about the Don't Lose Your Way song is that you get the DONT LOSE YOUR WAAAAYYY stuck in your head, but none of the rest of the song, so it can never resolve itself

source: ever since making that post i've had DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAYYY stuck in my head on loop
    And now you've got it in my head.
  • edited 2016-08-01 04:35:51
    I don't think I enjoy making such a big deal about "manliness" but ttgl appears to focus on it in a way that is endearing
    That was my experience with it too, though really, more than anything the manliness felt like a vehicle for a dramatic and hammy coming of age story.
  • Crystal said:

That was my experience with it too, though really, more than anything the manliness felt like a vehicle for a dramatic and hammy coming of age story.

this.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

the worst thing about the Don't Lose Your Way song is that you get the DONT LOSE YOUR WAAAAYYY stuck in your head, but none of the rest of the song, so it can never resolve itself

The rest of the main refrain gets stuck in my head, but the words mostly elude me.

Crystal said:

this.
    Also worth stating I've got a serious soft spot for those sorts of stories, so I can definitely see TTGL still being relatively awesome in my eyes.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I find the "manliness" thing rather off-putting unfortunately.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-08-01 05:37:16
    I mean the manliness was just a vehicle to start getting into how shit actually worked, which ended up having nothing to do with manliness and everything to do with Kamina being Kamina.  It was quite usable by women.
  • edited 2016-08-01 05:41:46
    I think the MANLINESS stuff was mostly from the first arc anyway (and also exaggerated by the fandom, the show is not actually about gender). I guess there was some level of it later on, but Simon ends up being a pretty different character from Kamina, and that affects the overall tone of the series once he becomes the focus.

Though, it's been long enough since I watched it that my recollection could be distorted here.

Gurren Lagann feels like a practice run for Imaishi more than anything, which is not terribly surprising considering it was his first series.

I still need to give Macross Plus a watch.
    Same. I got it on DVD for Christmas years ago but never watched it. >_>