What do you think of chip credit cards?

I notice more and more places in America accept them now

Comments

• I had never heard of them before going to visit CC and am kind of baffled by the concept.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    They've been a thing here for 10 years or so, so I kinda grew up with 'em.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Jane said:

I had never heard of them before going to visit CC and am kind of baffled by the concept.

My banker explained it to me like this:

The magnetic stripe on your card has your card information encoded on it. If the security of the computers is compromised, like the massive Target hack a few years back, the intruders can get valid credit card information.

The chip is different. When you make a purchase with a chip, it generates a special code that can only be used once. Even if hackers are able to obtain that code, it's of no use to them because it's not good anymore.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I hate dealing with the chip readers
  • edited 2016-07-31 00:39:41
    kill living beings
    my experience with chip readers is paper signs saying "chip reader does not work, please swipe"

glad to hear it fixes the no-factor-authentication thing though. look forward to trying it in 2019.
  • Jane said:

I had never heard of them before going to visit CC and am kind of baffled by the concept.

The magnetic stripe on your card has your card information encoded on it. If the security of the computers is compromised, like the massive Target hack a few years back, the intruders can get valid credit card information.

The chip is different. When you make a purchase with a chip, it generates a special code that can only be used once. Even if hackers are able to obtain that code, it's of no use to them because it's not good anymore.
    I feel like a big part of the point is that you have to enter a PIN to use it so if someone steals your card they can't buy stuff with it. Except that in the States they just decided to...not do that, for some reason.

Though up here everyone's decided that tapping the card is the Hot New Thing and that goes back to not requiring a PIN, so.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

my experience with chip readers is paper signs saying "chip reader does not work, please swipe"

glad to hear it fixes the no-factor-authentication thing though. look forward to trying it in 2019.

A lot of places seem to finally be adopting them now that the major credit card companies have said "accept chip cards or you're liable for fraud"
  • Yeah I'm starting to see them crop up here in Portland.

Jane said:

I feel like a big part of the point is that you have to enter a PIN to use it so if someone steals your card they can't buy stuff with it. Except that in the States they just decided to...not do that, for some reason.
    The places I've shopped require a PIN for a debit card but require (at most) a signature for a credit card, presumably because credit cards don't always have an associated PIN.
  • They're a hassle when you've got places that take them and places that don't, but I'd imagine it'll be less so when they're more commonplace in America as a whole.

Definitely a boon for security if Centie's banker's explanation holds any water tho.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    It's always struck me as odd that debit cards have PINs but credit cards do not. 
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    My experience with them is customers saying "This takes so much longer! What's the point anyway? Security? Don't make me laugh. This is MURRICA"
  • my experience with chip readers is paper signs saying "chip reader does not work, please swipe"

customer tries to jam it in the chip reader slot, even though the slot is covered in scotch tape
    The ones at At Home had At Home gift cards jammed in them with "NO CARD CHIPS PLEASE" written in red sharpie, which is funny.

I do wonder why so many places seem to have the machine with the chip card slot but don't actually use them.
  • my experience with chip readers is paper signs saying "chip reader does not work, please swipe"

my experience with chip readers is both of the following:

* "we have a chip reader, but it's not implemented yet, so please continue to swipe even though the other method looks neater"
    * "we have a chip reader and it works, so you're not allowed to swipe anymore if you have a chip card"

* "we have a chip reader and it works, so you're not allowed to swipe anymore if you have a chip card"

Well, yeah, if you have the chip card and they accept chip cards it's mandatory. It wouldn't make any sense to let people continue sliding the cards because it would completely defeat the security feature.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    A surprising number of people can't grasp that.

A surprising number of people can't grasp that.

It is odd to me how many people gripe about a feature meant to protect their money from being stolen

I imagine most such people don't understand the security aspects and just view it as "a thing my bank is forcing on me"
  • A surprising number of people can't grasp that.

It is odd to me how many people gripe about a feature meant to protect their money from being stolen

I imagine most such people don't understand the security aspects and just view it as "a thing my bank is forcing on me"
    It would help if it were as fast as swiping.

Swiping a card:
    1. take card out of wallet
    2. swipe card
    3. put card back in wallet anytime after step 2

Inserting a chip card:
    1. take card out of wallet
    2. insert card
    3. wait an indefinite period of time
    4. remove card
    5. put card back in wallet

The latter is decidedly LESS "fire and forget" than the former.
  • edited 2016-07-31 05:45:06
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've noticed that a lot of chip card readers will beep louidly once the transaction has completed, so that you don't walk off without your card.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

The ones at At Home had At Home gift cards jammed in them with "NO CARD CHIPS PLEASE" written in red sharpie, which is funny.

I do wonder why so many places seem to have the machine with the chip card slot but don't actually use them.
    i think there's some complicated IT thing to actually use the chips
    That makes sense yeah
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-07-31 19:26:13
    I just asked the guy at Subway during lunch, and he said their chip reader just rejects everything outright.  Which I guess is technically very secure, but...

Also this:

Essentially, Calica's right in that there's complicated IT setup.  There's also a hilariously long backlog to certify machines.  There are a couple lawsuits going on because the setup was so obtuse and certification process was so unprepared that it was impossible for retailers to reasonably meet the liability deadline -- so it comes across as the banks trying to offload fraud costs onto retailers by making a socket for decent security, but half-assing the implementation because once the deadline got written into law they didn't have any incentive to make it actually usable.
  • lee4hmz said:

I've noticed that a lot of chip card readers will beep louidly once the transaction has completed, so that you don't walk off without your card.

a couple of the places i go have changed the loud beep to one that sounds more like HEY HAPPY TIME YOUR TRANSACTION IS COMPLETE!! and less CARD DENIED PLS TRY AGAIN which has done wonders for me not hating chip readers
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, it totally sucks when they use the "transaction denied" sound. I know Food Lion's chip readers do that. :P
  • Bee said:

I just asked the guy at Subway during lunch, and he said their chip reader just rejects everything outright.  Which I guess is technically very secure, but...

Also this:

Essentially, Calica's right in that there's complicated IT setup.  There's also a hilariously long backlog to certify machines.  There are a couple lawsuits going on because the setup was so obtuse and certification process was so unprepared that it was impossible for retailers to reasonably meet the liability deadline -- so it comes across as the banks trying to offload fraud costs onto retailers by making a socket for decent security, but half-assing the implementation because once the deadline got written into law they didn't have any incentive to make it actually usable.
    That does explain why they've had the chip readers in my store for like 8 months ever since the remodel and we still don't have them working.