"Film at eleven"

Nobody's modernized this joke to "at eleven" or "story at eleven."

Also, it ignores those of us in the Central and Mountain time zones for whom the late local news airs at 10.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Not gonna lie, Anonus, this is a silly complaint even by your standards.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    how so?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well, I mean, it's not at all uncommon for a figure of speech to stick around long after its literal inspiration ceased to be relevant.

People say "don't touch that dial!" even though it's been ages since car radios had dials instead of electronic tuners, for example.
  • edited 2016-07-04 01:11:11
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well, it also feeds into my inferiority complex about hailing from a part of the country I feel to be underrepresented in popular culture
    That's kinda silly...it's like if I felt inferior when I saw cartoon police officers wearing blue because they wear white where I live.
  • Anonus said:

Well, it also feeds into my inferiority complex about hailing from a part of the country I feel to be underrepresented in popular culture

you think that's bad, try being from another country
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i think i get where Anonus is coming from.

i mean it's not really important enough to feel inferior over, maybe, and clearly from an objective standpoint doesn't make a person inferior

but there's a kind of cultural hegemony in global popular culture, certain ideas and representations predominate while others are localized and otherwise obscure
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

Yeah, we really aren't represented in this part of the nation.

Anonus said:

you think that's bad, try being from another country
    That's actually different, i think.

If you live outside the USA you're going to be less represented than the USA in international popular culture, but you have your own national popular culture in which you are likely (not necessarily) relatively better represented; if you live in the USA, though, your country sets basically the entire programme for international popular culture but your own state/regional culture may still go largely unacknowledged in the national popular culture.

i'm not sure to what extent the individual states have their own distinct pop cultures?  i know they do to some extent, but i'm not sure it's comparable to the national pop cultures of other countries?

Well, I mean, it's not at all uncommon for a figure of speech to stick around long after its literal inspiration ceased to be relevant.

People say "don't touch that dial!" even though it's been ages since car radios had dials instead of electronic tuners, for example.
    This is perfectly true, though, and i actually like it.  It's one of the things that gives the language its quirks, these little historical reminders.
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:12:43
    Tachyon said:

If you live outside the USA you're going to be less represented than the USA in international popular culture, but you have your own national popular culture in which you are likely (not necessarily) relatively better represented

Honestly I went back and forth on whether I should write "another country" or just "Canada". To some degree I had in mind phenomena that are specific to the fact that we're right next door. Our national popular culture has such a great overlap with the US's that people will look at you funny if you refer to an American movie as "foreign". Canadian movies and TV are largely a joke in Canada, and completely unknown elsewhere, with a few exceptions.
    Yeah the Canadian film and TV industry churns out a massive amount of garbage on the government's dime
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:24:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Ah, sorry.  i wasn't aware that Canadian popular culture overlapped with US pop culture to that extent, that's not quite how it is over here.
  • Tachyon said:

Ah, sorry.  i wasn't aware that Canadian popular culture overlapped with US pop culture to that extent, that's not quite how it is over here.

Yeah, even as I was posting it I was kind of thinking "I know it doesn't really work that way in the UK". I mean, we watch your stuff too sometimes.
  • Canada still has the greatest commercial jingle of all time to their name though.

As well as Toronto-born reggae sensation Snow.
    INFORMAH

YOU NO SAY DADDAY ME SNOW SAY I'LL GO BLAME

A LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN
  • edited 2016-07-04 02:25:24
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Mind, if you say 'foreign film' here that usually means a European or Asian film, but i don't think anyone would look askance at you here if you called an American movie foreign, because they are.

Actually i guess that's because most movies here are American so there's no need to specify, not because American movies aren't considered foreign.
  • INFORMAH

YOU NO SAY DADDAY ME SNOW SAY I'LL GO BLAME

A LICKY BOOM BOOM DOWN
    them say daddy Snow a-stabbed them down the lane
  • edited 2016-07-04 04:27:35
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Speaking of representation: I live near Washington, DC, the capital of the US and one of the most important cities in the world. You would think people would care more about the neighborhoods and all, but if US TV is to be believed, all that exists in DC is the White House, Capitol Hill, some of Downtown (if a government agency based there is involved), or maybe Georgetown if they're feeling generous. (The Pentagon only halfway counts because it's across the river in Virginia; same for the CIA.) 

The rest of DC? Nope. The vast suburbs outside the city? "Those are everywhere; we'll shoot those in Jersey or the Inland Empire instead". No respect at all. :P
    doesn't Northern Virginia make up the bulk of the DC area?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It's more or less split evenly between Montgomery and Prince George's Counties in Maryland, and Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William and Loudoun counties (and the various independent cities adjacent to and within them) in Virginia. Oddly, Maryland gets a lot more coverage on local news, or so it seems, and if something happens in Virginia and it wasn't in Arlington, Alexandria, or Fairfax, or if it wasn't bad (like a traffic accident), it doesn't get covered.
  • local NPR covers Maryland a lot more than NoVA for some reason

That's kinda silly...it's like if I felt inferior when I saw cartoon police officers wearing blue because they wear white where I live.

don't they usually wear black?
    Aliroz said:

Anonus said:

Yeah, we really aren't represented in this part of the nation.
    i agree; modern mountain/desert western U.S. people need more representation
    White.

I actually like how it looks, though it must be a pain to keep them clean