Is it me...

...or has Bart Simpson been completely shoved out of public perception of The Simpsons? Early in the run the focus of the show and the marketing was on Bart, but it's all shifted over to Homer.
Tagged:

Comments

• people who were bart's age when the show was new are just about old enough to be homer now
  • Bart spoke very well to the 90's, but he's kind of a one-trick character.  Homer is more meaningful today due to resentment toward the older generation, while also retaining healthy optimism for the good in people.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Being ancient enough to remember, I always thought it was weird how there was this Bartmania for the first couple years of the show, and then everybody realized that Homer was actually the funny one.

Bart's "I'm a cool troublemaker" thing didn't age that well, but being a fat doofus is forever
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I think a lot of Series!Lucky's character traits were informed by that, even though Bartmania had died down by the time 101 was in production

But yeah, today's shows don't seem to have the anti-authority attitude that the '90s had for some reason
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Bart's at least partially a parody of the superficiality of that attitude, though, in that a real "cool troublemaker" is just an annoying brat with panache.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-25 04:04:23
    ^^ That's partly because while anti-authority was cool in the 90s, we kiiiinda have a domestic terrorism problem now.  Turns out a certain respect for legitimate authority is a good thing.
  • there is no legitimate human authority

ETERNAL CAT DOMINION
  • HAIL

HAIL

HAIL

HAIL

HAIL

HAIL

HAIL

HAIL

HAIL

HAIL