Scottish independence

edited 2016-06-24 15:13:25 in General

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    an independent Scotland might be the only good thing to come out of this
  • edited 2016-06-24 15:16:35
    also, Trump, the only thing you know how to do right is to open your piehole
  • @Tachyon should i endorse scottish independence?  or should i wait and see?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It really doesn't matter seeing as you're not Scottish or British in general. I'm personally for it, but I don't know if I'd take my own position all that seriously...
    last time i was kind of mad that Americans were supporting the breakup of my country but England doesn't really feel like 'my country' at this point so idk

do what thou wilt
  • last time i actually didn't take a position on Scottish independence
    I feel like Scotland probably has a more valid claim to secession than any modern semi-autonomous region in the West, and I feel like that's important here, but I do understand being upset about it.

Honestly, I think Sinn Féin wanting to call a vote to reunify Ireland is even wilder and more worrisome.
  • kill living beings
    Still think the good Friday bit is wacky
  • Still think the good Friday bit is wacky

the what?
  • kill living beings
    The Good Friday agreement between Britain and the Irelands, which was one of the things adopted for the Troubles and so on, stipulates that Northern Ireland has to have the EU human rights convention in force, if I understand correctly
  • I think Scotland should be independent if and only if Scotland wants to be independent. People with no tie to Scotland having strong opinions on this always seemed weird to me.

Of course there's a tendency among Canadians to project opinions about Quebec on any other country that does this kind of thing.
  • Honestly, I think Sinn Féin wanting to call a vote to reunify Ireland is even wilder and more worrisome.

yeah

even then it seems people would prefer to face potentially reigniting terrorist shit than having to deal with being out of the EU
  • this is all so morbidly curious and worrisome
  • edited 2016-06-24 20:09:55
    We can do anything if we do it together.

also, Trump, the only thing you know how to do right is to open your piehole

Trump's decision to pander to Scotland in the wake of Brexit is bizarre even by his own standards.

That would be like trying to pander to New York if Texas seceded.
  • Doesn't Scotland basically hate Trump?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I really, genuinely love that he's too dense to understand that Scotland voted Remain.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    that and he's saying specifically that he wants to do the same thing in the US that Brexit did there
  • Calica said:

that and he's saying specifically that he wants to do the same thing in the US that Brexit did there

i've heard the notion that usually if a dem wins the presidential race the markets dip a bit and if a repub wins the presidential race the markets rise a bit, due mainly to stereotypes of dems being unfriendly to rich people and repubs being friendly to them

it might be a little reversed this time
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

Well, I mean, we already knew that he wants to wreck the country in the name of racism, so what else is new
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    My mother supports Scottish independence because she has gotten in touch with our Scottish heritage and now hates Britain for things they did to Scotland many years ago
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    pre-brexit it seemed like the best argument for scottish independence was primarily to get away from the tories

now it's that and get away from brexit
  • Calica said:

I know Centie's interpretation is accurate, but what does this mean taken at face value? Isolationism, or is he trying to win some secessionist votes?

I think Scotland should be independent if and only if Scotland wants to be independent. People with no tie to Scotland having strong opinions on this always seemed weird to me.

Of course there's a tendency among Canadians to project opinions about Quebec on any other country that does this kind of thing.

i would never presume to tell a Scottish person how to vote, the decision rests with them

however i don't think it's entirely unreasonable for me to have strong opinions on this given
    1. i have relatives in Scotland
    2. if Scotland leaves, they take a large chunk of the UK's political left with them, leaving rUK to the Tories
  • edited 2016-06-25 02:54:16
    Relatives in Scotland is totally fair, that's why I said people with ties to Scotland rather than just people who live in Scotland.

The second one feels a little sketchy to me though? Like, it being good for the rest of the UK if Scotland stays in seems like a reason to hope the result goes that way, but not really an argument for why they shouldn't be independant.

Like idk, I don't really feel like "I don't have a strong opinion on whether Scotland should be independent" is mutually exclusive of "I hope Scotland stays in because it's better for the rest of us". They're not answering exactly the same question.

But I mean, I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't have an opinion on the matter, just that it seems weird from my perspective.
  • edited 2016-06-25 02:58:51
    @Tachyon what are the politics of Wales and N Ireland like?

@Tatterhood: It might be cynical, but practical, to feel that way.  It's kinda like saying that Texas should leave the US since that will get rid of a big chunk of Congressional Republicans and Repub EVs.
    I'm not from the UK, but I do know that Wales was a Lib-Dem stronghold for a long time and tends to tack to the left of England, while Northern Ireland is, for the most part very socially conservative, but the DUP is actually to the left of all the major parties on economics despite being frighteningly reactionary elsewhere.

Like, it being good for the rest of the UK if Scotland stays in seems like a reason to hope the result goes that way, but not really an argument for why they shouldn't be independant.

No argument from me, and i would never cite that to a Scottish person as an argument against secession.

Nevertheless the idea of Americans with Scottish heritage hoping for the breakup of my country did strike me as a little offensive and insensitive? idk, i guess i place less emphasis on heritage than a lot of people. To me it makes more sense for me to be concerned with point 2; it's unlikely relations between the two countries would break down to the point where i'd be unable to visit my family up there, so point 1 affects me personally less.

Regardless i do personally feel independence would be a good thing for Scotland, mainly because of the state the UK has gotten to at this point. i'm allowed to have an opinion, surely?
  • edited 2016-06-25 03:19:03
    Also, if the Republicans hate DC statehood pretty much entirely because that'll basically add a Dem-leaning state to the union, I think it's fair game.
  • @Tachyon I think anyone is allowed to have an opinion on anything.  Whether one's opinion should be meaningfully used for policymaking is another story of course.

I'm not from the UK, but I do know that Wales was a Lib-Dem stronghold for a long time and tends to tack to the left of England, while Northern Ireland is, for the most part very socially conservative, but the DUP is actually to the left of all the major parties on economics despite being frighteningly reactionary elsewhere.

This is accurate.

Lib-Dems are committed to 'centrism', and Wales is by no means one of the more left-wing parts of the country, but it's not conservative to the extent of much of England.

Northern Ireland is politically very complex - and notoriously volatile, albeit much less so than it was 18 years ago (i gather there's a bit of a generational gap involved).  Traditionally it's seen as a country divided between Irish Republicanism and British Unionism; the former tends to be associated with Catholicism and the latter with Protestantism.  Neither maps cleanly onto left-vs-right, though there is a correlation between Republicanism, Catholicism and the left, and between Unionism, Protestantism and the right.  The (Unionist) UUP are allied with the Conservatives, and the (Republican) SDLP are allied with Labour, but neither is the largest party associated with those respective movements.

The DUP (NI's largest right-wing and Unionist party) is pretty horrifying, though.
  • Eh, I feel like I'm having trouble expressing what I actually mean here, so I'll probably drop this.

To be clear though, I was never saying that people shouldn't be allowed an opinion.
  • Did the Brexit vote map well with left-right leanings?  It seems that Leave was championed by the far right, while centrist and leftist opinion leaders generally preferred Remain, or am I wrong about this?

Because I'm thinking about the results (Wales narrowly going for Leave and NI going for Remain, specifically) and wondering how they relate to this.
    Not really, and not to the extent it was expected to.

The presentation of the issue of the public was very much dominated by a dispute within the Conservative party.  Right vs. "alt-right"/far right.  The response of the left has been muddled, with Labour leader Corbyn expressing only mild, qualified support for the Remain campaign, while one of the most prominent figures in the Leave campaign was Labour MP Gisela Stuart.

i don't know why Wales voted the way it did (even UKIP were surprised!), but there are some things maybe worth noting.  One is that working-class Labour voters tended to vote Leave, and there were a lot of those in Wales.  To many, this vote seems to have been seized upon as a way to hit back against the establishment which Brussels and David Cameron are both taken to represent; furthermore, immigration, and the associated fears of job loss and terrorism, is a widespread popular concern which the Remain campaign did little to address.  Although the Welsh Nationalist party Plaid Cymru sided with Remain, their support was heavily qualified for reasons similar to Corbyn's: dissatisfaction with the EU, coupled with the hope of reforming it from within.  Also perhaps worth noting that Wales is not nearly as international in its outlook as Scotland.

As for Northern Ireland, the votes correspond fairly closely to regional demographics.  Areas supportive of Republicanism tended towards Remain, as you might expect (since the Republic of Ireland is in the EU).  Areas supportive of Unionism actually tended towards Leave, so it just comes down to numbers.
  • Seems like the one-dimensional political spectrum just did a poor job of making sense of this, rather than this being totally weird or something.

I guess it became a matter of regional issues: in NI it broke along Republicanism/Unionism lines, in Scotland it was about wanting to remain in the EU (which seems to be the one constant between this and the recently-past independence referendum), and in England and Wales it was about anti-establishment anger at "the system".

Would you say this makes sense or am I missing any significant pieces?
    North versus South is another variable. Northern England is strongly associated with the Old Labour that Corbyn and folks like Tony Benn represent—I love you, Tony!—but the South tends to be more of a Conservative/New Labour environment, what with more suburbs and fewer traditional manufacturing hubs. The West Country is a bit of an outlier, because Cornwall is weird, but I'm not sure where they went.
  • edited 2016-06-25 04:10:01
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ That makes sense and afaik is quite accurate.

The biggest piece i think you may be missing is the extent to which racism and xenophobia played a role in proceedings.  The UK is, for the most part, very white.  The sole large region of England to vote majority Remain was London (multicultural, international), and this is by no means a coincidence.  Wales is extremely white.
  • but Wales is also extremely...well, not to state the obvious but, Welsh, is it not?

I perhaps thought there was more inter-nationality prejudice than there actually is.

North versus South is another variable. Northern England is strongly associated with the Old Labour that Corbyn and folks like Tony Benn represent—I love you, Tony!—but the South tends to be more of a Conservative/New Labour environment, what with more suburbs and fewer traditional manufacturing hubs. The West Country is a bit of an outlier, because Cornwall is weird, but I'm not sure where they went.

The Southwest, like Wales and the Southeast minus London, tended towards Leave.

The North-South divide may be a bit of a red herring here, because most of the North of England also voted Leave.
    Jane said:

but Wales is also extremely...well, not to state the obvious but, Welsh, is it not?

I perhaps thought there was more inter-nationality prejudice than there actually is.
    Yes, but it varies very much by region.  In Gwynedd and Ceredigion, both strongholds of Welsh nationalism, there was majority support for Remain.
    Plaid Cymru are really close with the SNP, so that makes sense. Apparently both endorsed the Greens in England and I think Northern Ireland?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-25 04:30:26
    That site has an unhideable ad header that takes up literally 2/3 of the page, then pops up a full-screen ad for the same product over the top of it.  This post is taller than the visible content of the page.  What the actual fuck.
    Huh. Apparently the Greens' woman in the House of Lords, Baroness Jones of Moulsecoomb, voted to leave the EU in opposition to austerity measures and bad trade deals despite her party's reformist position, but withdrew from supporting the main Brexit campaign in disgust over their appointment of Thatcherite global warming denialist Lord Lawson as their chair.
    One other thing that probably bears mentioning is that Scotland actually got a completely different Remain campaign from the rest of the country.  They got an SNP-led campaign tailored to Scottish (and left-wing) interests, while the rest of us got one led by David Cameron which appealed to economic stability and cited the opinions of experts.  Both the Leave and Remain campaign materials, outside of Scotland, used a similar format and presentation, right down to the rhetoric and visual design elements.
  • Huh. Apparently the Greens' woman in the House of Lords, Baroness Jones of Moulsecoomb, voted to leave the EU in opposition to austerity measures and bad trade deals despite her party's reformist position, but withdrew from supporting the main Brexit campaign in disgust over their appointment of Thatcherite global warming denialist Lord Lawson as their chair.

I need a while to absorb the fact that a "Lord Lawson" exists in reality.
    Oh and, also with regard to the campaign itself, in London the mayor Sadiq Khan was an outspoken figure on the Remain side, appeared much more pro-EU than Corbyn, and openly denounced Boris Johnson over xenophobic scaremongering and dishonest claims.
  • Tachyon said:

^^ That makes sense and afaik is quite accurate.

The biggest piece i think you may be missing is the extent to which racism and xenophobia played a role in proceedings.  The UK is, for the most part, very white.  The sole large region of England to vote majority Remain was London (multicultural, international), and this is by no means a coincidence.  Wales is extremely white.

But so are Scotland and Northern Ireland...
    Tachyon said:

One other thing that probably bears mentioning is that Scotland actually got a completely different Remain campaign from the rest of the country.  They got an SNP-led campaign tailored to Scottish (and left-wing) interests, while the rest of us got one led by David Cameron which appealed to economic stability and cited the opinions of experts.  Both the Leave and Remain campaign materials, outside of Scotland, used a similar format and presentation, right down to the rhetoric and visual design elements.

Ahh, the details of the campaign effort. A frequently-overlooked factor in the assessments of political geeks, because it's a lot harder to come by information like this than it is to find vote totals, poll numbers, and endorsement lists.

Huh. Apparently the Greens' woman in the House of Lords, Baroness Jones of Moulsecoomb, voted to leave the EU in opposition to austerity measures and bad trade deals despite her party's reformist position, but withdrew from supporting the main Brexit campaign in disgust over their appointment of Thatcherite global warming denialist Lord Lawson as their chair.

oh gosh that sounds like a complicated situation
    also lawson sounds like a jerk already
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Bee said:

That site has an unhideable ad header that takes up literally 2/3 of the page, then pops up a full-screen ad for the same product over the top of it.  This post is taller than the visible content of the page.  What the actual fuck.
    Here's a link directly to the tweet.

Tachyon said:

Wales is extremely white.

But so are Scotland and Northern Ireland...

Yes, but consider the factor Jane mentioned, national identity and associated prejudices.  Scotland has a very strong national identity, which sees itself in opposition to English national identity.  NI is divided between British and Irish national identities, which are heavily opposed, verging on mutual exclusivity.

In Wales it's a lot less clear-cut.  In some regions, typically the places where the Welsh language is most commonly spoken, there does exist a clear Welsh national identity.  In others, not so much.  You have to bear in mind, Wales was annexed by the English way back in the 13th century, and for centuries was legally considered part of England.  In that time the Welsh language and culture were actively suppressed, and plenty of people moved there who did not consider themselves Welsh.  There were incremental steps towards the recognition of Wales as a distinct nation from the late 19th century onwards, culminating in devolution in the 1990s, but even then this passed only by a narrow margin and was opposed in many places, particularly those bordering England.

The point i'm trying to impress here is not that there isn't a distinct Welsh national identity (there certainly is, and many people feel very strongly about it), but that it's felt more strongly in some places than in others.  There are parts of Wales where you can go and are unlikely to hear a word of Welsh spoken.  Residents of these places do not think of themselves as English, but there is significant cultural overlap.  Consequently, the prejudices in play are different from those in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • So basically the difference between England and Wales is more like the difference between New York and Virginia, rather than the difference between Ontario and Quebec?