its

missing an apostrophe

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    own leg, like a ham hock.
  • lack of said apostrophe is what differentiates it from the "it's" thread.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    As a kid I always found it really unintuitive that possessive "its" doesn't have an apostrophe, because, well, possessives usually have an apostrophe, right?

I realize now that it actually matches the pattern for possessive pronouns (his, hers, etc.) but 7-year-old Alice didn't think of it that way.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The apostrophe is there in possessives because it was -es in earlier forms of English, like in German.

Just an interesting titbit.
  • i hate these word crimes
  • As a kid I always found it really unintuitive that possessive "its" doesn't have an apostrophe, because, well, possessives usually have an apostrophe, right?

I realize now that it actually matches the pattern for possessive pronouns (his, hers, etc.) but 7-year-old Alice didn't think of it that way.
    Yeah, same.
  • As a kid I always found it really unintuitive that possessive "its" doesn't have an apostrophe, because, well, possessives usually have an apostrophe, right?

You know what's even more unintuitive?

The use of apostrophes for plurals.

Why not use quotation marks to set off the thing instead?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-21 18:34:51
    You're not supposed to use apostrophes for plurals.  It only happen's because grocer's don't know how word's work.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    One of the few exceptions where you do you apostrophes for plurals is letters.

"I got straight A's", because "As" just looks like the word "as".
  • Technically you're not supposed to use apostrophes there either, but italicize the letter instead to set it apart.  But at least it's accepted as a practical violation.

Something similar happens with plural acronyms.
    I was always taught that the apostrophe was an acceptable alternative just because italicizing isn't always an option (for example, in handwriting)
  • You can't always italicize, especially when using plaintext or handwriting.

I sometimes decide to just append an s to make the plural even on a single letter, such as counting the number of Es in a passage, but the thing is that looks confusing.

Meanwhile, some people insist that the game series is named Y's.  No, it's not; it's named after something called Ker Ys.
  • The thing is that these things are taught in so many different ways that there's no standard and probably never will be.

For example!

most people use apostrophes for plural possessives (the farmers' union, the students' council) and sometimes you'll hear that you should put an apostrophe on to the end of a word that ends in S and is also possessive (Nas' album), but I was also taught by not one but several people that you should do the same with words that end in Z. Granted you're only very rarely doing that in the first place (Taz' cartoons) but it does come up from time to time.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I was taught so many different things that I just take it case-by-case, go with the flow, and be happy that there's so much variety, and that it's all ultimately understandable in the end. And when needed as something specific, generally specified.
  • kill living beings
    I just think the etymology of "'s" is neat.
  • I just think the etymology of "'s" is neat.

I think the etymology of "'s"'s neat.
  • edited 2016-06-23 02:06:44
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The rules for apostrophes are more confusing than most people realize; it's an exceedingly overworked punctuation mark.  According to Lynne Truss in Eats Shoots and Leaves, it's actually correct to use an apostrophe when pluralizing letters or mentions of words (e.g. "and's and but's").

In the 19th century it was also correct to use an apostrophe when pluralizing a loanword ending in a vowel, such as "banana's" or "folio's", though this has not been considered correct for a long time.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

the crux of the biscuit
  • kill living beings
    I thought folio was Latin.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It is.
    Well, it's a loanword, so it's also English.  The English plural is "folios".
  • edited 2016-06-23 03:07:53
    raisons d'etre

maitres d'

coups d'etat
    coups de grace

octopodes
  • and then there are the ones people argue over:

anime/animes

pikachu/pikachus
    "Pikachu" is the canonically correct plural

i can only recall ever encountering "animes" in contexts where it was plainly jocular; otherwise it would tend to suggest the speaker is ignorant i think.
  • the plural of anime is animorphs
  • I'm like 80% sure all Pokemon species pluralize the same as their singular.
  • I think canonically 100% of them do.
  • kill living beings
    A herd of Miltanks, a homicide of Houndooms,

I think canonically 100% of them do.

yeah, i'm fairly sure this is correct
  • Granted, that's probably because too many species already met the old 10-character limit.  Still.

I've seen an interesting fan convention too where you only capitalize it if you're talking about a specific one, but the species is lowercase like Mass Effect does with the aliens.
  • Tachyon said:

I think canonically 100% of them do.

yeah, i'm fairly sure this is correct
    oh, now I realize I misread Bee's post, I thought he said 80% of Pokémon rather than 80% sure