Screenshots of funny phishing emails & spam

Because why not have a thread like this?

Instead of grabbing just the logo, they used a screenshot of a portion of the actual Univeristy mail login page, which is kind of hilarious to me.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Why are these things always so badly written? Is there some rule that to be a scammer you have to be a halfwit at the English language?

just sayin'
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I suspect that many of them do not speak English as their first language. If you look at some of the more elaborate and extravagant Nigerian scam emails requesting funds, they're written in excellent, extremely formal if somewhat antiquated English, and I wonder if one of the differences there isn't one of language.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-15 20:42:33
    Suffice to say people typically have a greater stake in scamming someone in a foreign nation than their own.  Less threat of retaliation or legal action, usually greater gain.

The US tends to be a primary target because wealth, national security, and a preponderance of old farts who somehow still have no idea how the internet works.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.

Why are these things always so badly written? Is there some rule that to be a scammer you have to be a halfwit at the English language?

just sayin'

because if you're smart enough not to be fooled by a badly spelled email, you're smart enough not to be fooled at all
  • and if you're dumb enough to fall for it, you might be dumb enough to not figure out how to deal with the fraud once you catch on
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Amusingly enough, emails referring to "Ohio State University" instead of "The Ohio State University" is usually a giveaway

Granted, so is the poor grammar and suspicious request, but the The is important too :P
    This isn't phishing or spam, exactly, but I don't know where else to put it and I think it's funny.

This is something a customer of mine received, claiming they'd won A BILLION DOLLARS or somesuch

Yes, that is the emblem of the United Federation of Planets from Star Trek.

I've blacked out the names, but I want to note that they were written as "Mrs. [male name] and Mr. [female name]"

fake IRS mumbo jumbo

you're, CERTIFIED DEPOSIT SLIPS

Who wrote this, Sweet Bro & Hella Jeff?

Laws & Resourses. With a photo of John Kasich...governor of Ohio.

Er wait...is this about the Powerball or something?

Totally legit.
    oh my god

this is amazing

i laughed when i saw the random picture of john kasich
    There were more pages than that, but I just put up the ones I thought were amusing.

THREE MILLION FIVE HUNDREAD THOUNDSAND DOLLARS
    I just realized that's clearly not even John Kasich's signature under his name

It appears to read "Joe Nelson" or something
    ...I didn't even notice that.

gwa ha ha!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

I'm not sure I trust this... "Alice".
  • Well the first red flag is what is very likely to be an illegally low salary.
  • kill living beings
    Alice Beatrice Cecilia Daphne Eva Falina Gertrude Horfenmeister
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    FROM THE UNITED NATIONS POLICE (UNPOL)
    REGARDING RECOVERY OF YOUR LOST MONEY.

Dear Beneficiary:

We know this email will come to you as a surprise, I’m directed to contact you by the UNITED NATIONS POLICE  (PACIFIC WEST BANK OF AMERICA) to urgently confirm from you if actually you know who claims to be your business associate/ partner. The said Mrs Elmer R. Kibler is claiming to us that you are dead and she will like to change all the Information that you gave to us as our bonafide beneficiary.

She Came to my office with an application stating that you gave her the power of attorney to be the beneficiary of your outstanding contract/Inheritance/award funds. She made us to believe that you are dead and that she is your next of kin. We got your email address and decided to send an email through this address hoping to find out if you are dead or alive and also to find out if you at any time gave this woman the power of attorney to represent you. Please let us know also if you are aware that we are almost ready to transfer part payment of your outstanding funds to her nominated bank account stated below:

BANK NAME: BANK OF AMERICA
    BENEFICIARY OF THE ACCOUNT: MR.ROLAND GULF
    BANK ACCOUNT: 250880939815
    SWIFT CODE: USBKUS44IMT
    6t7yACCOUNT ROUTING NUMBER: 104000029

Be further informed that this power of attorney also stated that you suffered and died of a throat cancer. You are therefore given 48hrs to confirm the truth in this information, if you are still alive, you are to contact us back immediately, because we work 24 hrs just to ensure that we monitor all the activities going on in regards to the transfer of beneficiaries’ inheritance and contract payment.

Listed below are the names of fraudsters and banks who have tried to divert your fund into their own private account and where caught and put to jail.

1) Barrister Ucheuzo Williams
    2) Mr Jim Ovia: Zenith Bank Plc In Nigeria
    2) Micheal Edward
    3) Chief Joseph Sanusi
    3) Dr Godwin Emefiele
    4) Mrs. Sherry Williams
    5) Robert S. Mueller, III
    6) Barrister David Scott
    7) Mr. James B. Comey Jr

For immediate transfer of your funds be informed that you are not allowed to correspond or contact any person or office with respect to this transfer other than this office, you are required to Re- send your information so that we can reconfirm that your still alive as following below this is to enable us make necessary arrangement of your payment through our payment Bank.

You are advice to contact the payment Bank immediately on this contact information below.
    PACIFIC WEST BANK
    United State Of America
    Branch manager
    Mr. James Wade
    onlinetransfer@pacificwest.com
    onlinedata@pacificswt.com

This is the information needed below and you are to forward your Bank details to the paying Bank.

1.Full Name:
    2.Residential Address:
    3.Age:
    4.Sex:
    5.Mobil Tel:
    6.Occupation:
    7.Alternative Email :

You are to call this office immediately for clarifications on this matter as we shall be available 24 hrs to speak with you and give you the necessary guidelines on how to ensure that your payment is wired to you immediately and also be informed that any further delay from your side could be dangerous, as we will not be held responsible for any wrong payment.

Making the world a better place!
    GOD BLESS US.
    Mrs. Sonia DillUNITED NATIONS POLICEUnited State Of AmericaEmail: mrssoiadill@cyberservices.com
    All the different font colors make it extra legit
    why yes, I did die of throat cancer!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I got that one too. I like how they used the name of an actual Nigerian bank governor in there.
  • I really, really, REALLY wish I had a screenshot of the email I once got telling me I could "get a visit from the big dick fairy".
    no relation to the boob fairy