Prescription drugs are fucking boring

The way their long, talky ads ate up the networks' evening news breaks during the 2000s. Their lack of accessibility and cozy reassurance.

Now watch. My acne pills or some other prescription drug will fuck me up/kill me, because they got mad at me for being an ingrate.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Are prescription drugs supposed to...not be boring?

Like, what are exciting medications, to you?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    The more boring a medication is, the safer I feel taking it, frankly
  • Not exciting. I mean the comfort of thinking of, like, ads for Tylenol and Bayer during the soaps and stuff
  • The more boring a medication is, the safer I feel taking it, frankly

that makes sense
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-13 05:48:30
    Yeah I mean, when a doctor hands me a prescription that covers half its label with a litany of side effects like nausea, vomiting, persistent vomiting, haematemesis, temporary dementia, seizures, aneurysm, bone decay, dysentery, pregnancy, heart attacks, heart explodings, breast cancer, skin cancer, pancreatic cancer, ass cancer, spontaneous combustion, candiru infections, unstoppable skin keratinization, rectal necrosis, and coughing -- I mean that's not boring, but I could do without it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    oooh, the candiru
  • Bee said:

Yeah I mean, when a doctor hands me a prescription that covers half its label with a litany of side effects like nausea, vomiting, persistent vomiting, haematemesis, temporary dementia, seizures, aneurysm, bone decay, dysentery, pregnancy, heart attacks, heart explodings, breast cancer, skin cancer, pancreatic cancer, ass cancer, spontaneous combustion, candiru infections, unstoppable skin keratinization, rectal necrosis, and coughing -- I mean that's not boring, but I could do without it.

'pregnancy' is lowkey the best one out of this list in terms of silliness and humor value
  • kill living beings
    my fave joke side effect is still "bone implosion". i don't even remember where it's from any more, and googling it just lets me know that it's a real thing (i guess it's useful for dentistry)
  • Then you're taking the wrong prescription drugs.

I was prescribed diazepam and codeine once, and had to take them together for a few days.

I was tripping balls and I loved it.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Everyone on this forum has tripped balls at some point except for me
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    maaaaan i remember taking painkillers after i had my tonsillectomy

the kind of painkiller that's so strong half the pharmacies in the city don't stock it

that was some amazing shit, lemme tell ya

i woke up at 8 on a saturday morning thinking it was 11 and I was totally perplexed at why the rest of the family was still in bed
  • edited 2016-06-13 10:16:13
    ಠ_ಠ
    It was during my foundation year, and I was so spaced out that I don't remember how I got there. I got to my lesson, and it was a blood practical, and my hands were shaking from the effects of the drug, and I got fake blood all over the ruler. Everyone just said to me "Go home, Emily. Just go home and sleep."

maaaaan i remember taking painkillers after i had my tonsillectomy

the kind of painkiller that's so strong half the pharmacies in the city don't stock it

that was some amazing shit, lemme tell ya

i woke up at 8 on a saturday morning thinking it was 11 and I was totally perplexed at why the rest of the family was still in bed

what did it feel like
    ...wow, how do i even describe it. It's a weird sort of relaxed, euphoric feeling.

My throat still hurt like hell though
    I'm jealous

How did I avoid all the drugs?

I'd like to avoid any need for painkillers though...
    i am amused that you just glossed over the part where i was in excruciating pain
    I didn't
  • I had muscle relaxers and strong painkillers because I had sciatica, but even with the drugs I was in a lot of pain.
    Did you ever feel the spots where your tonsils used to be
    Anonus said:

Did you ever feel the spots where your tonsils used to be

Yes, actually. For the first couple weeks it feels like you've got a sort of lump in your throat, but you get used to it once it becomes "normal" to you.
  • When I got my tonsils removed my brother got mad at me for not talking (because he didn't believe me when I said it was painful) so he made me talk
  • Also I've always seemed to have a high tolerance for drugs. Over the counter pain pills pretty much don't affect me at all, I don't remember the stuff I was on for my tonsillectomy zoinking me out too bad (granted, I was like six at the time), Adderall and Focalin pretty much just brought me up to normal (unless I drank coffee with them in which case I went nuts for a few hours and then crashed ridiculously hard) and never lasted the entire day, and when I had pain meds for my wisdom teeth removal all they did was make me feel a little more relaxed and focused and then it made my mother screaming at me for, ugh, I don't even remember, a million times worse.
  • I seem to get the bad effects of drugs a lot more than the good effects. Caffeine really just stems my natural tendency towards intense migraines, unbearable fatigue, and weird bouts of muscular weakness, while also really quickly making me jittery and anxious and not doing much to make me less tired. Also withdrawals kick in quickly and hit super fucking hard
  • i've tripped balls just by watching youtube poop while sleep-deprived
  • Yeah I wouldn't describe my post-tonsillectomy state as tripping anything, just pissed off and miserable.

I just tend to have bad luck with whatever doctors decide to pump me full of.  The anti-nausea shot I got for some flu a while back gave me an allergic reaction that had me vomiting continuously.  The acne meds had more effect on my stomach than on the acne.  I think the only one that did what it was supposed to was the local anaesthetic when I had a tooth pulled, and even then it did a pretty mediocre job.

Like, I spent the first six years of my life in a long chain of infections and antibiotics, so maybe my body just wants foreign substances to fuck off by now.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The best experience I have ever had with drugs was with kratom and a very small amount of pot. That was lovely. It's a cosy sort of sleepy feeling and it's just lovely. =w=

And yeah, the premise of this thread kind of baffles me. You're talking about drug ads, not drugs, and I'm not sure what follows here. I'm also inclined to think that you're only remotely intrigued by drugs because you've never taken the kind that serious affects your state of mind and don't know anyone who has offline. If you'd, say, tried an edible or been prescribed strong cough syrup before, you'd probably lose the fixation.
  • Mind-altering drugs aren't worth the hassle.

It's all fun and games until you sleep for 16 hours straight.
    I dunno, there are milder ones that are OK. I just wouldn't advise regular usage, let alone unsupervised.

Honestly, sleeping for sixteen straight hours without having the dog bark in my face sounds amazing right now.
    strong cough syrup?
  • Nope. Slightly more benadryl than you're supposed to take.
    oh i'm sorry i just somehow didn't see the other posts before writing that

i miss when vanilla made ninja posts appear
  • edited 2016-06-13 22:15:51
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Benadryl is an impressively strong sleep aid. It's also an anticholinergic, which means that very large amounts of it are akin to substances like belladonna and will make you dissociate and hallucinate rather nastily. There is actually a lot of overlap between antihistamine allergy meds and deliriants.
    I'm terrified of hallucinating. What if I see something scary? :(
  • kill living beings
    somehow i had not registered that anticholinergics do in fact affect the cns
  • Benadryl works great to make me fall asleep but the effect wears off in a few hours.
  • Unfortunately, I have to take Benadryl early in the morning when I want to be awake, or else I'm going to sneeze up a lung.
    That's pretty lame.

You could always talk to an allergist about getting something more potent that doesn't make you horribly drowsy, though. I mean, you're a person with a real job. Those tend to have insurance for that sort of thing.