Don't click this thread if you want to sleep soon. (Thread for posting scary/unsettling stuff)

Because we needed a thread like this, maybe.

Tagged:

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i watched that video last night and sorta wondered what it would be like to watch it as an American
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I CLICKED ON IT OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • kill living beings
    "ridiculous, they'd probably just try to issue everybody VX grenades"
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    THis sort of thing was terrifying as a kid, especially when you didn't really understand what it meant and you were easily freaked out by bizarre or threatening-looking images.
    And every station did it...a short sermon or benediction, a creepy announcer reciting the station's license information over a still of the ident, then the National ANthem, then either a test pattern (BEEEEEEEEP) or static for the rest of the night.
    wait, this is based on an actual thing?

the closest i can remember from when i was a kid is the weird test card the BBC used to run with the little girl and the clown
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

wait, this is based on an actual thing?

the closest i can remember from when i was a kid is the weird test card the BBC used to run with the little girl and the clown

Stations signing for the night while playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" was a real thing.

The rest is fictional, though.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It occurs to me that a big chunk of Poltergeist wouldn't work today, because TV stations don't sign off for the night anymore...and TVs show a blue screen instead of static nowadays.
    That's sorta like how a lot of the humour in Monty Python's Flying Circus kinda doesn't work so well anymore, because they used to do things like mimicking the BBC programming of the time, and airing the 'end' credits early to follow up with a spoof PSA or news broadcast, which of course dates the programme.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • Tachyon said:

That's sorta like how a lot of the humour in Monty Python's Flying Circus kinda doesn't work so well anymore, because they used to do things like mimicking the BBC programming of the time, and airing the 'end' credits early to follow up with a spoof PSA or news broadcast, which of course dates the programme.

as an American with no context for those things it just kinda adds to the absurdity
    Like that joke about americans laughing at all the wrong times when Python performed over here
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail155.html

What about the credits gag here?
  • I can't help but read the opening crawl's ridiculously vague wording as "America has lost to <INSERT COMMUNIST COUNTRY HERE>" and it made me laugh too hard to take the rest seriously.  If they were going to use LBJ's signature they might as well have finished dating it with an actual opponent.
    the cat video is good
    By the way, there are plenty of actual signoffs from US stations in the 1980s and 1990s on YouTube, if you're so inclined.

• now here's something REALLY unnerving
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-06-04 03:42:45
    That song will forever be associated in my mind with Faerie Fortune's death reel against the Forest Temple stalfos.

And on that note, have CNN's doomsday reel...with appropriate replacement.

Bee said:

I can't help but read the opening crawl's ridiculously vague wording as "America has lost to <INSERT COMMUNIST COUNTRY HERE>" and it made me laugh too hard to take the rest seriously.  If they were going to use LBJ's signature they might as well have finished dating it with an actual opponent.

That didn't bother me just because it seemed to fit in with the premise of "this is a pre-recorded message meant to air in a given scenario", so it made sense that it would be nonspecific
    Some may find the subject matter too goofy to be genuinely scary, but I'll put it in this thread just in case: