The single most infuriating UI decision in Windows 8 and 10

Dialog boxes like this:

You'll notice there's no "X" or "Cancel" button. Yep, you guessed it...to "dismiss" the dialog, you click anywhere outside the window.

That might not sound that bad, but in practice it gets old fast. It means you can't open this dialog, click away to look at something else, and click back...because the moment you click away, the dialog is closed.

It's especially annoying on a slower computer because it might take a few seconds for the dialog to appear to begin with, but you can't click away during that time or it will never open.

How did something so stupid make it past basic usability testing??

Comments

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    You see, it all started when Lahahana put gum on the bottom of the Kahuna's chair, and then the Kahuna cursed him to make one terrible programming decision for every one hundred good programming decisions, and this was it.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've gotten used to clicking outside the box to dismiss things (God knows enough websites do that crap), but if I'm really frustrated I'll just mash Esc and hope for the best.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    holy shit this is a thing?

*never updates to 10 ever*
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The single most infuriating UI decision in Windows 10 is the lack of DD/MM/YYYY, actually. :|
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

The single most infuriating UI decision in Windows 10 is the lack of DD/MM/YYYY, actually. :|

Ok, yeah, that does sound like it would be more irritating, if you live in a country where that's the dominant format...