Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Lizzie McGuire?
  • Is this like a store or something?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of bargain box would stock a Lizzie McGuire game, a Goodwill iron, lots of Norelco razors and safety scissors, multiple copies of Toy Box Takeover, what appears to be a pocket knife set, and a cheese grater.
  • edited 2016-05-15 23:37:55

it's the glass case at goodwill, hence the goodwill stickers on everything
  • I mean I'm not a particularly organized person in most senses.  Kind of the opposite.

But this seriously makes something deep within me cry out in pain.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Bee said:

I mean I'm not a particularly organized person in most senses.  Kind of the opposite.

But this seriously makes something deep within me cry out in pain.

...what Goodwill stores do you shop at? Around me, at least, this is par for the course...
  • kill living beings
    well, it's either this or having someone organize twenty year old consumer electronics.
  • edited 2016-05-15 23:48:28

well, it's either this or having someone organize twenty year old consumer electronics.

oh this is the more organized case where the more fancy stuff is, the 20 year old consumer electronics are in a jumble at the back of the store
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The thought of a thrift store being meticulously organized just feels...wrong, somehow.

That would make it feel less like a charity shop and more like a for-profit secondhand store. The kind that overcharges for said 20-year-old electronics.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-15 23:59:34
    It doesn't even have to be meticulous!  I can see throwing a whole bunch of chargers together near the MP3s, sure.  But at least take the trouble to separate out appliances, cooking utensils, toiletries, and entertainment with some kind of demarcating line.

If I want to find a phone charger, my first instinct is probably not going to be to look in the Completely Random Shit Case.
  • its worth noting while that GBA game is in the glass case, i've totally found like actual GBA units in the back with the Tandy word processors and outmoded iPod docks

the Tandy word processors

*drools*
  • The thought of a thrift store being meticulously organized just feels...wrong, somehow.

That would make it feel less like a charity shop and more like a for-profit secondhand store. The kind that overcharges for said 20-year-old electronics.
    There are a couple of Goodwill stores in Portland that are surprisingly well-organized. They're really pleasant to visit, for some reason.
  • Bee said:

It doesn't even have to be meticulous!  I can see throwing a whole bunch of chargers together near the MP3s, sure.  But at least take the trouble to separate out appliances, cooking utensils, toiletries, and entertainment with some kind of demarcating line.

If I want to find a phone charger, my first instinct is probably not going to be to look in the Completely Random Shit Case.
    oh everything else is organized like that

the completely random shit case is for stuff with enough resale value that they don't want people shoplifting them

so there'll be a few dubiously authentic designer bags, some blu-rays, more recent video game consoles, ect.

but sometimes something weird like that Lizzie McGuire game will end up in there.
  • the people who work at goodwill aren't always the best judges of the worth of something

like, this jacket im selling here? i bought it for 7 bucks at that goodwill.

in the women's section.

did i mention that they also oftentimes have problems figuring out what gender garments are?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    $7 to $189? You are profiting handsomely
    For a while in 2012 I volunteered at the West Side Free Store, which is basically where they set up a mini "store" in the basement of a church and give away donated items for free.

We basically just put out any items that were in suitable condition to be worn...so now I'm wondering if we gave away anything that was worth like $200. That would be funny.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    one man's trash, that's another man's come-up