"y'all" is the proper English second-person plural pronoun

edited 2016-05-05 03:51:04 in General
*writes "y'all" on a large foam glove, of the sort seen amongst the audience at some sports games*

and if any of y'all disagree then y'all should, uh, TALK TO THE HAND or something

Comments

• okay, i actually do seriously believe that "y'all" is a good idea and not just a semi-negative cultural stereotype
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    the true form of Bakura
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I like it.
    good drag name imo
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    yinz
  • 'y'all' > 'you guys'
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I think "y'all" is spreading outside SAE + AAVE, but I don't have a study to cite.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I seen yinz downtown at Dave and Busters.

Yinz wanna get some wings and then attend a Trump rally?

(The other Jane)
    Then there's "yous"/"youse"
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Usually I see it spelled "yins," because plurals end in "s" and that's what that word is doing, but being dialectal I guess there really is no standard per se.
    Corvina said:

"Youse" is a curious thing. It's not necessarily plural and more often than not it indicates a particular case. Not sure how to describe it.

(The other Jane)

Odradek said:

Usually I see it spelled "yins," because plurals end in "s" and that's what that word is doing, but being dialectal I guess there really is no standard per se.
    Corvina said:

"Youse" is a curious thing. It's not necessarily plural and more often than not it indicates a particular case. Not sure how to describe it.
    There are two forms that are "youse": the "Commonwealth" (for lack of a better word, given how Wiktionary defines its distribution) 2nd-person-plural "yous" and the AAVE 2nd-person-genitive "you'se"
    Again, there's also singular "youse," which is sort of halfway between the two and is mainly a Northeast thing, particularly in old Italian communities (like the one in South Philly) for some reason. Even then, I think there's a grammatical gap being filled in how there's a difference in subject-object relationship between "you" or "ya" and "youse."

(The other Jane)

Again, there's also singular "youse," which is sort of halfway between the two and is mainly a Northeast thing, particularly in old Italian communities (like the one in South Philly) for some reason. Even then, I think there's a grammatical gap being filled in how there's a difference in subject-object relationship between "you" or "ya" and "youse."

Interesting, I didn't know about that
  • Y'all is the standard where I live.

Though it's pronounced more like yo'll.
    Y'all is the best english second person plural word.

All the others sound incorrect. Y'all is a contraction of you all
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Odradek said:

this kind of stuff is all I hear at work

I envy the dead
    Odradek said:

Y'all is the best english second person plural word.

All the others sound incorrect. Y'all is a contraction of you all
    I use it a lot partly because it's just more of a Pennsylvania/New Jersey thing than anywhere else outside of the South, and perhaps a little because I lived in the South at different points, but mostly it's because I went to a school where a third of the kids were black and at least half of them were from North Philly—best known as the birthing place of the expressions "jawn" and "salty," the latter technically pronounced "sawdy."
    Seriously, I was in on the ground floor on "salty" and everybody and their mom uses it now and pronounces it wrong because you're a buncha fuckin' noobs.
    Do other anglophone countries have  different second person plural pronouns? Do Canada or Australia have any?
  • Seriously, I was in on the ground floor on "salty" and everybody and their mom uses it now and pronounces it wrong because you're a buncha fuckin' noobs.

"Salty" and "salty ('sawdy')" are different words though.
  • Odradek said:

Do other anglophone countries have  different second person plural pronouns? Do Canada or Australia have any?

Australia probably has several, but they are likely outside the ken of my Melbournian experience. 
  • Odradek said:

I haven't heard one in any of the parts of Canada I've been to.

(Uh, in English that is, I heard all kinds of French pronounce in Montreal.)