Anti-Adblock Tiers

Normal Tier:
Doing nothing and leaving users alone. You don't get extra praise for this because this is what is expected of you.

"Ok, I get the idea" Tier:
"It looks like you're using an adblocker! We understand why, but please consider buying a premium membership to help support the site."

"Um, no" Tier:
"It looks like you're using an adblocker! Please whitelist our site."

Obnoxious Tier:
Subjecting people who block ads to deliberate inconveniences (e.g., when Blip would make people sit through two minutes of black screens if they didn't watch the shitty Denny's commercial)

"I will never willingly do business with you" Tier:
Blocking access, or attempting to block access, to site content for people using adblockers.

As an aside, I recommend uBlock Origin to anyone who's still using Adblock Plus. Its default lists are a little overzealous (stuff like blocking SourceForge) but it doesn't slow down your browser as much.

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    The fifth is why I avoid Hulu and Funimation if I can avoid it, since it's ads either way. I don't really mind it when Crunchyroll does the second though. It tends to vary by site for me.
  • "Um, no" Tier:

"It looks like you're using an adblocker! Please whitelist our site."

at least one site I sometimes use does this even when it's already whitelisted

the worst
  • My favorite is sites that don't work even if you have them whitelisted or have the blocker turned off entirely.
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-04-22 01:01:02

"I will never willingly do business with you" Tier:
    Blocking access, or attempting to block access, to site content for people using adblockers.

I know you weren't trying to name names but I am petty and full of salt
  • kids these days are entitled and have no attention span
    Okay?
  • I actually don't care that Hulu runs ads because they bother to time theirs where the ad breaks would be on an actual TV show.

Usually when I'm blocking ads it's banner ads. Or Twitch.tv's ads which just don't play nice with my computer for some reason (ads that loop infinitely until you reload the page are a favorite).
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    THESE PANCAKES TASTE LIKE AMERICA

DENNYS
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    YOU CAN CALL ME 

NANNERPUS
    NANNERPUS
  • like fo srs idk why you'd be upset when a site asks you to whitelist
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

like fo srs idk why you'd be upset when a site asks you to whitelist

It doesn't upset me, but like...I'm not gonna do it, so why bother asking?

Protecting my computer from malware outweighs your desire to make money, sorry.
  • I actually usually do whitelist things if I use them constantly.

Because banner ads at least in theory keep the sites I use up and running, but some places have terrible ads, or so many of them that it makes using the site hard, at that point I turn adblock back on.

And that is that.
  • kill living beings
    someone else might do it
    Jane said:

I actually usually do whitelist things if I use them constantly.

Because banner ads at least in theory keep the sites I use up and running, but some places have terrible ads, or so many of them that it makes using the site hard, at that point I turn adblock back on.

And that is that.
    Same.
  • I'd whitelist sites I like if they stopped putting up ads that redirect me to malware or lag down my machine with high-res flash animations that invariably leak memory like a sieve.
  • the solution is to browse fucktons of high-end clothing retailers so literally every ad is a small png image trying to sell you $400 sneakers
  • The ad model is super duper broken and it makes it really hard for me to figure out my stance on the issue

That being said I don't have A TON OF sympathy about inconvenience caused by denying a free service its primary source of revenue even if that source of revenue isn't great
  • As for slowing down your computer well, yeah, that's obviously a major issue
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kexruct said:

The ad model is super duper broken and it makes it really hard for me to figure out my stance on the issue

This is actually how I feel about copyright, too.

(I agree with you on everything you said.)
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-22 07:39:29
    Yeah I mean the problem isn't ads as an abstract concept.  It's that in practice, ads are oversized and horribly optimized pieces of CPU fuckery that more often than not try to lead you to software that will screw up your system, and are often larger than the actual content I'm trying to download.

If it was just a gif here and there like it used to be back in the GOOD OLD DAYS and went through literally any regulatory body at all to crack down on malware, I'd be totally fine with it.
  • edited 2016-04-22 13:47:17
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i feel somewhat similarly to Kex, but in practice i do use adblock because i'm paranoid about malware

i dunno, it's a conundrum

Patreon and paid-for services are things i could make more use of i suppose
  • edited 2016-04-22 13:59:37
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Wrong Thread.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Bee said:

Yeah I mean the problem isn't ads as an abstract concept.  It's that in practice, ads are oversized and horribly optimized pieces of CPU fuckery that more often than not try to lead you to software that will screw up your system, and are often larger than the actual content I'm trying to download.

If it was just a gif here and there like it used to be back in the GOOD OLD DAYS and went through literally any regulatory body at all to crack down on malware, I'd be totally fine with it.
    Yeah, pretty much. I don't feel too bad about using various forms of ad blocking and tracker disruption for precisely that reason. To whit, I like being mostly invisible.