Rarely Observed Traffic Laws

Sometimes it's hard to tell if people don't know these rules or they just don't care.
  • At signalized intersections with multiple right-turn lanes, you are permitted to turn right on red only from the rightmost lane. If you're in any other lane you are required to wait for the light to change.
  • When a school bus is stopped on a road with four or more lanes, only traffic traveling the same direction as the school bus is required to stop. (WARNING: NOT TRUE IN ALL STATES)
  • A solid double white stripe separating lanes on the highway is illegal to cross. This is typically only used in cases where changing lanes would present a safety hazard. In other instances, a single solid white line is used, which officially means lane changes are "discouraged" but not prohibited.
Tagged:

Comments

• People also forget to yield to oncoming dragons all the time. Real annoying tbh.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Another one: in most states* it's illegal to turn right on a red arrow.

I've seen transportation departments get this one wrong, by posting red arrows with a "NO TURN ON RED EXCEPT FROM RIGHT LANE" sign, implying it's OK to run the red arrow from the rightmost lane. I wouldn't want to have to argue that one in court.

* but not all states, because American traffic codes are infuriatingly inconsistent
  • kill living beings
    i don't know if i've ever seen a traffic light with a red right arrow
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't know if I've ever seen multiple right turn lanes
  • https://www.google.com/maps/place/283+Stonetree+Dr,+Maryville,+TN+37801/@35.7679607,-84.0065561,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x885c20a865511361:0x6404ecbbb171c9

Say hello to my apartment complex!

Anyway, where that road to the east (Robert C. Jackson) meets the one to the north (Middlesettlements) has multiple right turn lanes. I was not aware of this law but I will say it never felt right turning right on red when I'm in the left lane. I suppose that makes me a criminal.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    @Kexruct: I was curious, so I looked up the relevant law:

A right turn on a red signal shall be permitted at all intersections within the state; provided, that the prospective turning car shall come to a full and complete stop before turning and that the turning car shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and cross traffic traveling in accordance with their traffic signal; provided, further, such turn will not endanger other traffic lawfully using the intersection. A right turn on red shall be permitted at all intersections, except those that are clearly marked by a "No Turns On Red" sign, which may be erected by the responsible municipal or county governments at intersections which they decide require no right turns on red in the interest of traffic safety;

There's nothing in there about which lane you use, so that might not be illegal in your state.

IANAL, of course, so don't blame me if I'm wrong. :P
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    not to sound paranoid but, this thread is in general, are you sure you're ok posting your home address?
    *writes it down in Stalker Steno Pad*
  • I don't know if I've ever seen multiple right turn lanes

go to vermont and you'll rarely even see a stoplight
    Drive in Alaska and you'll rarely even see another car. Or so I'm told.
  • go to mars and have all the roads to yourself
  • go to mars and have all the roads to yourself

how do you have all the roads when you have zero roads out of zero?
  • Tachyon said:

not to sound paranoid but, this thread is in general, are you sure you're ok posting your home address?

Yup. There is like one Intimate Detail I'd prefer not be shared in public threads but everything else is fair game.

• Besides, it's not like anyone with patience couldn't just find it on their own anyway. Whatever.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    alright then
    Kexruct said:

There is like one Intimate Detail

I guess I shouldn't have made that "Tucker Eats At Chili's Regularly" thread then >_<
    THIS IS NOW A TRAFFIC CONTROL SPERGING THREAD

recycled "speed limit 55" sign with a 1 stuck over it for use in an alley

undersized speed limit sign, which is just as well, because speed limits < 20 mph aren't enforceable on private property in this state

...your guess is as good as mine.

• i love finding non-divisible-by-5 speed limit signs

they're such a rarity
    they didn't want to go up to 13, because that's unlucky.
  • 13 is my lucky number
  • because 13 * 4 is 52

i love finding non-divisible-by-5 speed limit signs

they're such a rarity

i'd say this one's more of a fluttershy