"Don't do touristy things"

Yes, I will spend my vacation in a succession of hotel rooms and chain restauraunts just to not be like the sheeple, great idea.

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i should do more touristy things in LA before I leave it maybe?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    hotel rooms are great
  • "don't be an asshole with complete disregard to the upkeep of your surroundings and dignity of passersby" takes longer to say
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Bee said:

"don't be an asshole with complete disregard to the upkeep of your surroundings and dignity of passersby" takes longer to say

No.

I meant when people say "don't visit the Washington Monument or Library of Congress" as opposed to "don't try to fuck the flag at the Betsy Ross museum"
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I kinkshame all who copulate with flags.
  • How else are flags going to reproduce?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Haven said:

How else are flags going to reproduce?

Mitosis.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

Bee said:

"don't be an asshole with complete disregard to the upkeep of your surroundings and dignity of passersby" takes longer to say

No.

I meant when people say "don't visit the Washington Monument or Library of Congress" as opposed to "don't try to fuck the flag at the Betsy Ross museum"
    Sometimes, this actually is good advice, because places like that can get horribly crowded and there are plenty of less obvious sites to see in a particular city or region. However, sometimes simply coming at a different time can alleviate the first problem: Apparently you can get into St. Peter's Basilica in Rome at 7:00 AM and it's incredibly peaceful. The latter still holds, however. People overlook some great stuff.

On the other hand, people who are just telling that to you because doing tourist things makes you a tourist are being pretentious.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-09 00:53:16
    Odradek said:

Bee said:

No.

are you sure real people actually say that or are you talking to plants again

mind you a human being with a sufficiently crazy hairdo may be considered for these purposes to be a plant

Seriously though, I'll tell people not to visit stuff like Plymouth Rock, but it's not because it's a tourist attraction so much as a really shitty and underwhelming one.  If someone tells you not to go to tourist places because tourists are contagious uncultured swine or something then you should probably just throw shoes at them until they stop being assholes.
  • I live near the Pocono Mountains and the amount of vitriol for hikers and skiiers around here is astounding.

Mind you some of it is warranted but a lot of it is basically just "fucking Europeans ruining my pristine view of my mountain villa".
    Fortunately, I don't have to deal with tourists in Pittsburgh since there's absolutely nothing here anyone wants to see.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    You have the Warhol Museum and the Steelers.
  • Jane said:

I live near the Pocono Mountains and the amount of vitriol for hikers and skiiers around here is astounding.

Mind you some of it is warranted but a lot of it is basically just "fucking Europeans ruining my pristine view of my mountain villa".
    I'm pretty sure "mountain villa" is one of those things that immediately disqualifies most complaints you're allowed to make when implied to be in your possession.  Like pool cleaners or au pairs.

You have the Warhol Museum and the Steelers.

You do not "tourism" the Steelers. That's more of a religious thing.

The Warhol Museum? Maybe, but it's not a huge attraction.
    We have several fine museums.

The Natural History Museum, the Science Center, and the Children's Museum are also excellent.
  • You have the Warhol Museum and the Steelers.

You do not "tourism" the Steelers. 
    this is a great quote just by itself
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-09 01:09:40
    I'm trying to think of tourist attractions in Portland, but mostly Portland just is itself the tourist attraction.  OMSI, sure.  Maybe the Japanese Garden?  I'm looking on trip advisors and stuff and they're already digging into segway tours and farmers markets within the first 10 entries or so.
    Odradek said:

We have several fine museums.

The Natural History Museum, the Science Center, and the Children's Museum are also excellent.
    Do not come here, but if you happen to be here anyway, check out the museums.
    "Do not come here, but if you happen to be here anyway, check out the museums."

This is good advice.
    courier.jpg

It has the greatest museum exhibit of all time.
  • kill living beings
    honestly a lot of Portland is just ugly? I mean omsi is practically under a bridge
    Jane said:

is that a man stabbing a camel

It is an arab courier being attacked by a Barbary Lion after killing its mate
  • Do frat boys on spring break count as tourists even if they probably live nearby?  Because they act like "tourists" and they're sure being as destructive and noisy.

I'm hearing someone loudly and drunkenly shout "AAAAAAAAWWWWWWW" approximately every minute and a half.
  • Pushed buddy right into the fuckin' snowbank, eh
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Fortunately, I don't have to deal with tourists in Pittsburgh since there's absolutely nothing here anyone wants to see.

Honestly, even before I met you and Myr, I'd kinda wanted to go to Pittsburgh anyway

I have a residual fondness for them that predates that, because Westinghouse was based there (the company currently calling itself Westinghouse is a sham that licenses the name and logo from CBS)
  • If I did touristy things I'd be stereotyped as an annoying Asian dude.
    What is it with you and Westinghouse anyway?

as for tourist stuff, aren't the kinds of people who usually moan about tourists New Yorkers who think being from/living there makes you part of the top echelon of existence
  • Anonus said:

as for tourist stuff, aren't the kinds of people who usually moan about tourists New Yorkers who think being from/living there makes you part of the top echelon of existence

only if you say you like deep-dish pizza
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

For me, it was Pm Magazine, He-Man, and seeing the W logo on things like electric meters (they'd sold off their appliances division to White by the time I was around, and "White-Westinghouse" used a totally different logo).
    Haha I remember White-Westinghouse

And how Mother had a White-Westinghouse coffee grinder

Ironically, I remember it most because when she ran it, it interfered with KCNC's over-the-air signal
    on the RCA-brand TV in the kitchen at least
    also, re: "tourisming" the Steelers

what about when fans of the opposing team show up for their games?
    Do sports fans seriously do that? What?
    Crystal said:

Do sports fans seriously do that? What?

does that seem antagonistic to you?
    No, entirely me wondering if that is seriously a thing.
    It is. When the Broncos travel to San Diego to play the Chargers, Qualcomm Stadium tends to be packed with Denver fans
    I... see.

Okay.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-09 05:14:17
    There's usually a whole section of the stadium reserved for the people traveling with the away team.

Like, I've been to away games with the band.  This is a normal thing.

What isn't a normal thing is when the home fans pelt you with beer bottles.  Which are full.  And not full of beer.  Fuck football so much.
    Suppose this shows how little I truly know about sports fans, then.
    I saw a video once where Philadelphia Eagles fans drunkenly chanted "asshole" at a visiting New York Giants fan and threw half-eaten food at him

Seems pretty mild compared to some other stadium shenanigans though...

God, I wanna go to Philly, but for reasons besides football
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    it makes sense that you'd want to watch your team play even when they're playing away, no?

anyway i always understood "don't do touristy things" as "DO see the local culture, visit museums and historic landmarks and such, DON'T sign up for overpriced tours that rush you past everything and don't spend all your time on overcrowded beaches, in seedy nightclubs or in tacky theme parks"

which is not too far removed from what @Bee said, i think?
    Erieri enlightened me last night for what it's worth, including stuff like that, but I am still ignorant about sports cultures heh.
    Tachyon said:

anyway i always understood "don't do touristy things" as "DO see the local culture, visit museums and historic landmarks and such, DON'T sign up for overpriced tours that rush you past everything and don't spend all your time on overcrowded beaches, in seedy nightclubs or in tacky theme parks"

Also yeah, this.
    Anonus said:

idiots
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-09 18:23:54

Anonus said:

idiots

For what it's worth, they mainly pack away fans all in one section for safety in numbers.  Because people get attacked by drunken (or even sober) fans depressingly often when they stray out.

Seriously, we'd get more use out of the DHS if they policed football stands than airports.  Fuck football.
    Tachyon said:

What about the scenery? Is that touristy?

Philly, Boston, and Washington are chock full of American history stuff...and New England has a lot of pretty stuff