An anecdote from a founding father of modern medicine

Comments

• kill living beings
    pre-med education findings: every important doctor-biologist before, like, 2029, was a fucking sociopath
  • My dreams exceed my real life

pre-med education findings: every important doctor-biologist before, like, 2029, was a fucking sociopath

According to ANOTHER Renaissance doctor, this guy fled Spain when the body of a young girl he was dissecting turned out to still be alive.
    The more you read about early medicine, the more you understand where the Frankenstein/Moreau archetype comes from.
  • kill living beings
    i read a neat research paper once about how a lot of Dracula was based on stoker's brother and contemporary worries about vivisection (e.g.: "wow, what the fuck")
    As was Island of Dr. Moreau

And Poe's Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

Lotsa great horror stories.
  • i have read things on how Dracula was a response to:

1. Oscar Wilde
    2. The Theory of Evolution
    3. Capitalism
    4. Psychiatry
  • kill living beings
    ah, this is vesalius. you know Brown has a copy of de humani corporis fabrica bound in some convict's skin? and supposed "he delighted in clutching every organ, too, even crushing them between his fingers to see what oozed out"
  • edited 2016-04-04 01:23:41
    kill living beings

i have read things on how Dracula was a response to:

1. Oscar Wilde
    3. Capitalism
    4. Psychiatry
    i mean, yes, but thornley stoker was chief vivisection inspector of ireland and campaigned a lot on the subject, and dracula does do spoooooky experiments, so i thought it was a pretty good idea

oh and helsing's a doctor

Dracula was a response to the entirety of the human condition

In some sense, all art is.

i have read things on how Dracula was a response to:

1. Oscar Wilde
    3. Capitalism
    4. Psychiatry
    i mean, yes, but thornley stoker was chief vivisection inspector of ireland and campaigned a lot on the subject, and dracula does do spoooooky experiments, so i thought it was a pretty good idea

oh and helsing's a doctor
    He has the same name as Bram Stoker too.

(Bram is a nickname for Abraham)