Writing in prose

edited 2016-03-22 05:34:49 in Artistic Pursuits
I'll let you in on a secret: despite being a writing machine (when I feel like it), I fucking hate writing in prose. Anything other than that half-script half-prose format is anathema to me, and I worry about this.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...why?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    why to what?

As for hating writing in prose, I can't come up with anything that doesn't feel repetitive presentation-wise.

As for worrying, I fear it could damage me.
    You really don't know until you try.
  • edited 2016-03-22 05:56:59
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I've tried it before but maybe you're right, maybe I should read more literary fiction.
    I mean you should try writing more purely in prose, although reading more is always a good thing.

In any case, I would also add that editing is your friend.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I edit a lot, I think...
  • I suck at writing in prose.

I want to write short, accessible paragraphs, with points elaborated by bulleted lists or other visual aids. Even paragraph splits.

Of course I'm mostly writing nonfiction and specifically informative or persuasive writing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I would like to see your written prose, sweetie...
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i always used to find prose writing *extremely* easy, these days not so much because i've gotten very self-conscious about it

so i guess, try not to be too self-conscious?

and i guess to build on what Sredni said, one easy way to generate a lot of writing fast is to just throw down all your thoughts on the page, stream-of-consciousness style, without worrying about presentation or even grammar, and then go back and edit it until you're happy with it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

and i guess to build on what Sredni said, one easy way to generate a lot of writing fast is to just throw down all your thoughts on the page, stream-of-consciousness style, without worrying about presentation or even grammar, and then go back and edit it until you're happy with it

i should try this more often
  • Hell, my novel is 66 pages of continuous stream of thoughts. 

Writing in the first person POV helps.