I am starting a blog

On my blog, I will have quotes by people who don't like me.

This will surely show people I am not owned.

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i see you're not a fan of the advertising for john oliver's show
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Yes
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I dunno, negative comments can be funny.
    I mean, yes, but whenever it's negative comments about you personally, it just comes off very "I am not owned"
    Like that twitter that collects dumb amazon reviews is funny
  • I dunno, negative comments can be funny.

I am sorry, but this is objectively wrong and you are a bad person now apparently here is your commemorative "I am a bad person who has in fact been owned on the internet" badge
    Um okay?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i guess to me it's sorta funny because it's unexpected?

like it comes across to me as silly, because you expect people to quote positive things about themselves, and they did the opposite

that doesn't sound very funny put like that but old adage about jokes and frogs
    “The puzzles aren't particularly impressive.”

10/10 – Destructoid

“I have a couple of issues with the user interface.”

10/10 – PCInvasion

“If there’s a criticism to be had, it’s that sometimes Toby Fox doesn’t know when to let a joke go.”

10/10 – The Jimquisition
    Okay
    Perhaps I was too hasty, but surely there are times where it comes off as a passive aggressive "I will make sure everyone knows how not affected I am" move?
  • not in my experience no
    yeah i get you

i think it's partly contextual, partly depends on the nature of the quotes
    like i'm not sure i've seen the thing you're talking about but i can picture it, i'm not doubting it happens

not in my experience no

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/02/08/testimonials-for-ssc/

How do you feel about this

Because I feel the good comments here deserve to be answered, and the bad comments don't deserve to be repeated
    Tachyon said:

like i'm not sure i've seen the thing you're talking about but i can picture it, i'm not doubting it happens

Yeah, that's how I feel. Generally it's very tongue-in-cheek, or vaguely defiant, like John Oliver using the right people hating him as a selling point or, as quoted, Toby Fox using weirdly mild criticisms as a way of humorously highlighting his game's acclaim.
  • edited 2016-03-20 22:15:58
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ that's a pile of garbage

a bad page
  • I think that if it was like five things it would be funny but that many and yeah I see it
  • edited 2016-03-20 22:17:24
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    like, some of those seem like perfectly reasonable and quite serious criticisms which really need addressing, and some of them are just flames, and they go on and on and on and on
    But, like, Bayesians.

You really can't expect better.
    I also feel like he's obfuscating how much criticism of him comes from the left, and the sheer amount of people who say they've been converted to nerd fascism by hanging out on his blog, due to his comments basically being a recruiting ground for such.

But that is not immediately obvious from the blogpost taken on its own.
    So yes, it does depend on what "type" of criticism you choose.
  • my main thought when reading it was less "this guy is smug" and more "this poor chap has no idea of how to be funny"
  • but then I know nothing about him so
  • he's pretty smug
    You can be terrible at being funny and also smug.

I didn't bother with the link because I am aware of that guy and would rather avoid giving his site traffic.
    Most bayesian humor gives me a sense of forced whimsy that comes from a very non-whimsical place.
    I think they're like super religious people who see all the fun that everyone else is having so they try to have fun but it's, like, weird Bible Camp fun.
  • what's the appeal of weird nerd logic-based quasi-fascism anyways,?
  • mostly feeling like you're smarter than everyone else, I think

mostly feeling like you're smarter than everyone else, I think

• I wouldn't think you'd need an ideology to do that though
    You'd think
    sheltered (mostly white, straight, cismale) nerds feeling frustrated with a world they don't understand, people doing things that don't make sense to them

a movement comes along offering all the answers, and making references to psychology, evolution, mathematics, computer science to prove they know what they're talking about

become a Bayesian, and see the things other people don't, cut through the nonsense and arrive at the simple truths that pass the unitiated by
  • I guess the ideology would help if you aren't smart enough to consider yourself smarter than everyone else on your lonesome but you've grown up having "you are so smart" drilled into your head?
  • what tach said makes sense
    Or you're smart enough to think yourself smarter than most other people but not smart enough to understand how relative and frequently useless that way of looking at the world is.
  • if only everyone was as smart and splendiferous as moi, then we wouldn't have these problems

not in my experience no

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/02/08/testimonials-for-ssc/

How do you feel about this

Because I feel the good comments here deserve to be answered, and the bad comments don't deserve to be repeated
    i still sort of want to know the context for the talking cacti though
    Tachyon said:

“The puzzles aren't particularly impressive.”

10/10 – Destructoid

“I have a couple of issues with the user interface.”

10/10 – PCInvasion

“If there’s a criticism to be had, it’s that sometimes Toby Fox doesn’t know when to let a joke go.”

10/10 – The Jimquisition

okay but the joke there is that he's picking out the negative sentences from 10/10 reviews