slowed-down audio is now staggered, and not deepened in pitch

why

who decided this was a good idea

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Are you talking about some example in particular?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    windows movie maker started doing it with vista, garageband does it

there's also this
  • generally a program will have multiple timestretching methods?
    it will?
    Jane said:

??????????

Anonus said:

windows movie maker started doing it with vista, garageband does it

there's also this
  • Pretty sure both have their own selected uses.

Kendrick Lamar, as an example, has used pitch shifting numerous times in his work, with other hip hop artists as well including A$AP Rocky and Bryson Tiller (among countless others).
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Changing speed without changing pitch was actually a huge advancement in sampling. Without it, whole genres of music would not exist. Also, making sure tempo changes only effect tempo is really important when you're trying to keep something in a particular key or register while altering how fast or slow it goes. This can also be important in video editing, where inadvertent pitch changes can potentially really screw up your audio.

Audacity actually has multiple speed adjustment effects. One operates like tape, altering speed and pitch in sync; one only alters tempo, thus slowing something down without changing the pitch; another does the second but with a given sample rate over multiples of the original segment's length (Paulstretch, as it is known); and yet another allows speed and pitch changes over the course of a selected area, like a sample doubling speed and going up an octave in pitch, or starting an octave up and going an octave down.