Why I hate cheap extension cords

Doesn't look so bad, right?

But what about when I try stumbling around and plugging something in in the dark?

Do it. Touch that exposed prong. I dare you.

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    i've never touched an exposed prong and shouldn't
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i don't think that could happen with the sockets we have over here
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I've done this before, when indeed I was trying to plug in some lights in the dark.

It didn't hurt that badly but it gave me a nasty jolt.
  • Tachyon said:

i don't think that could happen with the sockets we have over here

Well, it shouldn't be possible with North American ones either, but it is dumb that they're close enough to symmetrical that this can happen.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

Anonus said:

i've never touched an exposed prong and shouldn't

And yet I want to
    me neither
  • is there a way to determine its properties without touching it in such a way that may injure oneself?
  • is there a way to determine its properties without touching it in such a way that may injure oneself?

invite yarrun or lee over
    at work we have to pass these various checklist/test type things in order to be considered a full-fledged crew member

one of the questions they ask us is "why is electricity dangerous?" and the correct answer is just "it can cause serious injury or death"

which i'd have thought was just common sense, but i guess they need to make sure we understand that?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Ah, NEMA receptacles, it's no wonder most of the world doesn't use them.

Don't BS receptacles have shutters on them to keep exactly this from happening?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    No it's because it's super effective on Flying-types, duh.
    that's if they were asking *you* that question
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    And, for those who would worry: No, when I took the pictures, the extension cord wasn't actually plugged into the socket. I have no desire to repeat that again.

is there a way to determine its properties without touching it in such a way that may injure oneself?

You could use a multimeter, I guess, but I don't have one of those.
  • kill living beings
    lay a string from the ground to the prong. if it bursts into flame,