the '90s, for good or for ill

spun off from a discussion in the Tumblr thread

There was a time when I thought the '90s were fun, and to an extent I still do...is that faulty?

Comments

• yes you subhuman shambling receptacle of unpleasant things
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying the parts of the 90s you liked; I mean, I still like the period from Christmas 1990-July 1992 because of all the music I remember from it, even though real life then was not nearly as glamorous.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Quantify the enjoyment of everyone who was alive at the time. Find the arithmatic mean. If your enjoyment is more than one standard deviation from that mean, then you are objectively wrong.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I honestly couldn't tell you, because I was reborn yesterday.

In fact, I was reborn a minute ago. Childhood and consciousness are illusions.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    1993 may have been my happiest year

it was all downhill after that
  • that's because I was born in '94

wah wah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    exactly
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There's a lot of stuff from the '90s I still like, both out of nostalgia and on its own merits.

That said, I do feel we've made a lot of social progress since the '90s, which is a good thing.
  • The 90s had Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, FFVI (and FFVII I guess), FFT and a whole bunch of other cool things. No need to be ashamed.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

There's a lot of stuff from the '90s I still like, both out of nostalgia and on its own merits.

That said, I do feel we've made a lot of social progress since the '90s, which is a good thing.
    Same, I think.
  • My dreams exceed my real life