british problems

Comments

• the thumbnail does not immediately reflect the thread title but
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    am British, am indeed annoyed by beeping appliances

incidentally that's Matt Parker, who is actually Australian, although living in the UK
  • edited 2016-02-23 00:52:39
    kill living beings
    why would you put a buzzer on a kettle? those fuckers are loud. if you want it to make a particular loud noise you could give it a whistle
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

why would you put a buzzer on a kettle? those fuckers are loud. if you want it to make a particular loud noise you could give it a whistle

It is imperative to British tea drinking that you must know the exact second the kettle has come off the boil, no matter where you are in the house, in order to optimally reach mouth scalding levels of tea heat.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The beeping might be useful if you're visually impaired, I guess?

Other than that it just seems like a really "didn't think this through" design decision.
  • almost got killed cuz my kettle kept beepin
  • quick question: how common are stovetop kettles in britisherland
    Nil. Zilch. A concept most ridiculous.
    Well, most our stoves are electric too, so a stovetop kettle doesn't really accomplish much.
  • oh hey I know him from numberphile videos
  • what about moka pots
    never even heard of them

pretty sure they're not a thing here, i googled and they don't look familiar
  • Well, most our stoves are electric too, so a stovetop kettle doesn't really accomplish much.

Why wouldn't it?  It still heats the water until it's boiling, and boiling water can whistle as escaping steam.
    if you need electricity to heat the stove, you don't save anything by using a stovetop kettle, so you might as well use a regular electric one
  • That then leads to the question "why doesn't a plug-in electric kettle whistle?".
  • kill living beings
    spout's too wide.

That then leads to the question "why doesn't a plug-in electric kettle whistle?".

Some do.
    some do have built-in whistles to simulate the effect

i would guess that beeping kettles like the one in the video developed from that

kinda like how ringtones used to always imitate bells and now they're any kind of electronic sound
  • edited 2016-02-23 03:16:50
    My phone has no good bell-like ringtone.  This sucks.  What if I just want my phone to sound nondescript and also non-irritating?  What if I don't want my phone to play a guitar riff or a techno beat every time I get a call from my parents?
  • download one from Online?
  • My current ringtone is the best one they have, though I could potentially just search the sound effects of the various games I have and then use one that sounds kinda appropriate.

I think Droidsound has a "make a ringtone out of this" feature.
  • what about moka pots

not uncommon, but not common. i have one back in britain and i know a few others who do but most people prefer drip filter or cafetiere, or if you're a coffee snob then something like an aeropress is.more usual
  • my dad is a huge cafetiere person, my mom is a drip filter person
  • My current ringtone is the best one they have, though I could potentially just search the sound effects of the various games I have and then use one that sounds kinda appropriate.

I think Droidsound has a "make a ringtone out of this" feature.

zedge
  • my ringtone is

• maybe i can change my ringtone to Pokémon's "RING RING RING, RING RING RING, PHONE CALL, PHONE CALL"
    i guess idk what i'm talking about re:moka pots

we have a cafetiere