Does anyone else miss BIOS splash screens?

On one hand, I guess modern computers boot quickly enough that all that text would go by too fast to read.

But, I dunno, I feel like the experience of starting up your computer has been watered down since Windows 8 and UEFI. You don't get a cool BIOS start screen with the manufacturer's logo, you don't even get a Windows splash screen anymore...it's just the computer manufacturer's logo with a spinning ball underneath. :\

Comments

• Computers should feel like computers or they should feel like magic. Right now they feel like nothing

-sentences that make sense on four hours of sleep
  • kill living beings
    UEFI flashes a mobo logo screen for me.

or are you referring to all the text about POST and such
  • It's only for a split second, but typically I can catch the ASUS BIOS screen from my desktop's motherboard before it boots into Windows 10.

This wasn't ever a thing on my Macs though, presumably because Apple intentionally made the BIOS screen grey in order to have it blend seamlessly into the actual booting process for OS X.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

UEFI flashes a mobo logo screen for me.

or are you referring to all the text about POST and such

Maybe it varies from computer to computer? I don't even get any sort of mobo logo; I just turn on the laptop and it immediately goes to the ASUS logo with the Windows loading spinner thing below it.

Kexruct said:

Computers should feel like computers or they should feel like magic. Right now they feel like nothing

-sentences that make sense on four hours of sleep

Actually that makes perfect sense to me, but I'm fucked up with Still Being Sick so what do I know?
  • kill living beings
    ASUS is the manufacturer, no? of course it would be their logo
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

ASUS is the manufacturer, no? of course it would be their logo

Well, yes.

But on older computers, it would be like:

Manufacturer logo for a few seconds
    Windows logo for a minute or so while the operating system starts

But now they've combined it so that I see the manufacturer logo while the operating system starts, and I don't like that because I am picky :|
  • kill living beings
    that's probably more because it's a laptop. on my computer, where i bought the mobo as its own thing, there's no integration since of course the mobo manufacturer had no idea what OS i'd be running.
    makes sense
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I kinda don't care about this, since I always go away from the screen to do stuff while I wait anyway. Uniformity would be a bonus, but eh.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the one time I liked this kind of thing was...drum roll...the Sega CD. Back in 1993. "A game console with a startup screen and menu and everything, cool!"

Nowadays I just wish my computer would instantly start. Who has time to wait for this stuff