Controversial Computing Statement

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    BURN HER
  • Does Windows 10 make it possible to have a taskbar style like that of Win98?

Does it support Quick Launch?

Does it support right click a tab in the taskbar to get the classic five-item context menu rather than the fancy one with pinning options?

Does it go well with not combining tabs for different windows of the same application? What about not grouping?

Does it allow reordering taskbar tabs?

Does it allow the user to turn off pretty animations for basic Windows features, in order to make basic operating system GUI tasks less resource-intensive?

How many OS GUI elements can be recolored, reskinned, refonted, or otherwise cosmetically modified?

How easy is it to set custom folders for things like Documents and Pictures?
  • Does Windows 10 make it possible to have a taskbar style like that of Win98?  

I like that this is the first thing on your list.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-16 05:18:37
    In terms of stability and usability, Windows 10 is fine.

Under the hood, it's a clusterfuck of quietly sharing and uploading your personal files, network info, encryption keys, and all sorts of other shit you REALLY don't want stored on a cloud with a backdoor built in.

Also it silently turns your system into P2P bot for distributing Windows Updates, which chews up any data limits you may have hella fast.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Does it allow the user to turn off pretty animations for basic Windows features, in order to make basic operating system GUI tasks less resource-intensive

I can't even tell what level of seriousness you're operating at here
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-16 05:23:19
    Basic theme operations are not usually what eats up your resources.

What eats up your resources is runaway advertising, background network traffic, applications silently preloaded on startup, services you don't use, and bad antivirus programs.
  • such as the Bluetooth Device Monitor that inexplicably runs on my computer at all times.
  • Or the AVG browser toolbars that eat up your CPU and build up 40 GB worth of useless logs despite not currently running a browser or even being connected to the internet.
  • What's the easiest Windows OS to get working illegitimately? XP, 7, or 8.1?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-16 05:40:01
    Illegitimately?  I'd assume XP, since it's older, less secure, and gets pirated constantly throughout Asia even among the professional sector.

Like, it's one of the two main reasons so much professional software still has to support XP and/or IE8 (the other reason being governments, who certify environments for a lot longer than it takes to deprecate them).