People with blue collar jobs on Law and Order

They never stop doing their jobs while the cops are questioning them, and they seem very annoyed that their day is being disrupted by homicide/rape detectives.

It's so weird.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    tbh I would be quite annoyed if police interrupted my day for any reason short of actively saving someone's life

but I am strongly biased against police, so
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It makes sense. People are busy and more often than not people don't feel like they know anything important. But they do somewhat exaggerate it, perhaps to keep things visually interesting and indicate that, y'know, stuff other than detecting and crime is happening in the city.
  • I'd expect a range of responses in real life, but if someone's in the middle of something and has their mind full of details of that task, it makes sense that they don't want to be bothered.

Besides, this isn't just for blue-collar professionals in L&O; white-collar professionals also have similar responses, like that trader who complains that he's missing potential big money by not monitoring the data on his ten screens.

Also applies to people engaging in recreational activities, to some extent.  Especially fanatics.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-13 02:10:47
    Also Law & Order investigators have a nasty tendency to spontaneously play all roles of the legal process approximately whenever they feel like it.  You don't exactly want to get into a protracted conversation with them.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Bee said:

Also Law & Order investigators have a nasty tendency to spontaneously play all roles of the legal process approximately whenever they feel like it.  You don't exactly want to get into a protracted conversation with them.

Also that thing that happens sometimes on SVU where it turns out not to be a sex crime, but they stay on the case anyway because I guess they have dibs?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I generally choose to believe that TV depictions of criminal investigations are entirely unrealistic, not because I think real law enforcement follows the rules, but because they break them in ways that don't always make them come out as the "good guy" in the end like on TV.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-13 03:12:25
    Procedurals have flagrant overreach of authority all the damn time.  About the only difference is there's less profiling, they're lucky enough that their more egregious abuses land on the perpetrator and/or accomplices and rarely anyone else, and they can enhance ANYTHING.

Okay so there's obviously more differences than that, but still.  Nearly anything real police do that we would consider bad has gotten glorified on a procedural before.
  • donk donk

Real police work would be so much more interesting with the donk donk.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I'd like to play a dude in a cold open for Law and Order some day
  • Yeah. When I was working with the police I should've gotten a big red button I could push to play that noise whenever I saw something on the cameras.
  • edited 2016-02-13 08:42:16
    Bee said:

donk donk

Real police work would be so much more interesting with the donk donk.
    this

also i thought it was chung chung