It's kind of amusing when laws are clearly out of touch with the times.

For instance, legal name changes.

In most states, they make you publish your name change in a newspaper before the court will order it, to make sure that you're not trying to use the name fraudulently to evade debts or anything.

I'm sure that made sense back when the law was put into place, but it's kind of absurd now. The people/businesses I owe money to aren't likely to be reading name changes in a newspaper, let alone the local newspaper in my specific city.

It's a formality that never went away.
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    they should make you post it on Facebook
  • kill living beings
    you should keep a clipping as a memento
  • A specific newspaper or just any old one?

In Ontario the government just publishes a list of people who've changed their names, I guess for the same reason. (They allow trans people to opt out of this, which is neat.)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

you should keep a clipping as a memento

see, that would actually require buying a copy of...*shuffles through paperwork* The Daily Reporter, which I haven't heard of before but I'm sure Anonus has because media fixation
  • kill living beings
    yeah for like a dollar! c'mon do it
  • I probably should've kept a clipping of the newspaper I made my announcement in. 

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with keeping around as little stuff with my birth name on it as possible.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Haven said:

I probably should've kept a clipping of the newspaper I made my announcement in. 

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with keeping around as little stuff with my birth name on it as possible.
    See, I kinda feel that way...but at the same time, it also marks a milestone in my transition.

This is kind of a moot point because I don't know where to get the Daily Reporter.
  • kill living beings
    nearest denny's
    man, i haven't been to denny's in years

anonus let's go to denny's sometime
  • dollar stores tend to have them. grocers too