Why are the Olympics so boring?

2»

Comments

• Tennis looks cool, i tried watching soccer a few times but found it a little boring?
  • edited 2016-02-11 09:01:04

it used to do that for me but now it's kinda wrapped back around onto itself and i feel comfortable going "lol fuck sports amirite" again

because i have nothing to prove and can say as i please
    so i guess i would amend this to "lol fuck the way that sports are presented in our culture"

but that's a mouthful
  • it also doesnt make sense w/o the context which is now on the previous page but y'know
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

you see, im all for the display/celebration of physical prowess, but the pageantry and gloryhounding is just eeeuuuggghhhh

and then on top of that with football the sport-doing is celebrated by... stuffing your face with enough 7-layer dip to feed a grown man for a week and getting shitfaced.

kind of missing he point there

so yeah, it's fun to be wildly and spitefully uncharitable towards it

there is part of me that wishes to live the stereotype of football gluttony but my inner Rolly doesn't work that way
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Fuck sports, but also fuck sports, amirite?
  • The Paralympics are savage. The wheelchair sports are brutal sometimes. Wheelchair rugby is just a mass slaughter.
  • I saw the documentary about it when I was, like, ten.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    thinking back, i actually really disliked the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony

i got over it, but for a time it soured the whole experience for me

and i know it had all the good stuff about the NHS in there but that felt insincere to me coming after the very twee middle class golden age pastoralism at the start

also Emeli Sande's performance of Abide with Me was truly abysmal, idk what happened there

idk, i guess i was hoping for a ceremony that was, y'know, ceremonial?  with a bit more gravitas?  i wouldn't have minded a bit of fun, showing off our pop culture and stuff, but it was like we were incapable of taking *any* of it seriously, and that was how we chose to present ourselves to the rest of the world

like, it was the kind of ceremony you'd put on if you were tasked with celebrating "Britain", but your idea of Britain came from a half-remembered O-level history class, and you had no interest whatsoever in actual British traditions

which is probably reflective of the national attitude, but not something i think is worth celebrating, y'know?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    . . . i don't think i'd have that reaction to it if i saw it for the first time in 2016, which is weird to think about
  • kill living beings
    underworld was great, that's the only part of that ceremony that matters
  • I find the Olympics boring. Sports is interesting only when one has knowledge of how the game is played and interest in it. I have neither.
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

like, it was the kind of ceremony you'd put on if you were tasked with celebrating "Britain", but your idea of Britain came from a half-remembered O-level history class, and you had no interest whatsoever in actual British traditions

this is, like, any depiction of history majorly sponsored by any state, it's not uniquely British.
  • edited 2016-02-11 17:31:18
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I wonder what it says about us that the sports that traditionally qualify to be "America's pastime" (baseball and American football) have a lot of idle time. Pretty much every other major league sport here (basketball, hockey, even soccer) keep things moving and doesn't dick around as much.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    To be honest, the Olympic committee is a really corrupt institution and tends to do a lot of damage to the cities selected in various ways without bringing much money into the actual local economy, so I can't say I'm a huge fan of the institution as it currently exists.

However.
    sunn wolf said:

idk i was at London 2012 and it was pretty cool. like, i had tickets to women's handball, which sounds like a nothing sport but was actually the most vicious sporting spectacle i have ever seen. so far as i can tell the aim of handball is to try and murder the opposing team by shoulder charging them to death. it was great and i had good fun cheering on the Angolan women's handball team. that's my olympics story

sunn wolf said:

my favourite thing about the London olympics was how when there was no british competitor the crowd would always choose the most obscure country that was competing and cheer for them

This sounds amazing.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The fact that the IOC asks for so much with so little in return is why I'm actually kind of glad Washington hasn't won an Olympic bid. We have enough problems keeping things together for our own population, and the Games seem to be as well-known for their white elephants as they are any athletic achievements.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Denver is the only city ever to win an Olympic bid and then relent on it
  • Honestly we need to just pick one country and hold the Olympics there forever.  Fuck, make a giant yacht or something and do it in international waters.

I'm kinda tired of all these giant-ass multibillion-dollar stadiums getting thrown together in inhospitable places with extensive fatalities and then getting used for less than a month before turning into urban blight.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Bee said:

Honestly we need to just pick one country and hold the Olympics there forever.  Fuck, make a giant yacht or something and do it in international waters.

I'm kinda tired of all these giant-ass multibillion-dollar stadiums getting thrown together in inhospitable places with extensive fatalities and then getting used for less than a month before turning into urban blight.
    We would, but Poseidon cursed the Olympics long ago
  • probably still be safer than Sochi
    I have to wonder if the Olympics even has any benefits for international relations anymore, or if it ever did (as opposed to "benefits" paid directly to IOC directors' palms by sponsors and/or equally corrupt governments). 

I was going to say something here about the modern Olympics' entire history being tainted, but a quick check of Wikipedia shows that it seems to have had completely noble intentions at first (and you know what they say about the road to Hell).
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    It seems like the Olympics should've just stayed in Athens, TBH.
    Yeah. Having it go on tour is definitely more trouble than it's worth now.