It's a good thing music wasn't invented in modern-day America

Or some company would have a patent on it and sue anybody who tries to compose their own songs.

Can you tell I'm not fond of patents?

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    This is a completely absurd hypothetical.

(but yes that would suck)
  • One of the teloses of the internet is to justifiably shit on copyright.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    copyright's a time bomb

just wait and see
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Patenting things is important in a capitalistic society or people will not receive dues for that which they create.

That we live in a capitalistic society at all is horrible and unjust and a violence, but let's not get into that!
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know...whoever was the first two figure out you could have two people play different instruments at once to make even better music must have been a hero
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Pythagoras made some aspects of math secret mysteries only the fully initiated Pythagoreans were allowed to learn, as he thought learning about things like infintesimals might shake people's faith in numbers.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Oh my gosh, I can't resolve the square root of two into a ratio of two whole numbers!  NUMBERS!  WHY HAVE YOU ABANDONED ME!  THREE DOESN'T EXIST!  FIFTEEN DOESN'T EXIST!  SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY MILLION, SIX HUNDRED THIRTY ONE THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED SIXTY EIGHT DOESN'T EXIST!
  • Aliroz said:

Oh my gosh, I can't resolve the square root of two into a ratio of two whole numbers!  NUMBERS!  WHY HAVE YOU ABANDONED ME!  THREE DOESN'T EXIST!  FIFTEEN DOESN'T EXIST!  SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY MILLION, SIX HUNDRED THIRTY ONE THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED SIXTY EIGHT DOESN'T EXIST!

Narrator: "What's the largest number you can think of?"
    Respondent 1: "Um...hundred thousand?"
    Respondent 2: "Nine hundred and ninety-nine thousand."
    Respondent 3: "......a million."
    Narrator: "In actual fact, it's neither of these.  The largest number is about forty-five billion."
    [screen displays "45,000,000,000"]
    Narrator: "Although, mathematicians suspect that there may be even larger numbers."
    [screen displays "45,000,000,001?"; a bell "ding" is heard]

• kill living beings
    Aliroz said:

aliroz confirmed for ultrafinitist
    Aliroz said:

Basically

Part of the reason heliocentrism was disrespected as a theory for so long was because it was associated with the Pythagorean school, who postulated "counter-earth" just to pad out the number of heavenly bodies to ten, which was a sacred number.
  • edited 2016-02-08 07:33:54
    kill living beings
    ...wait, their heavenly bodies being what?

Oh, I guess you could count the sun.

...wait, their heavenly bodies being what?

Oh, I guess you could count the sun.

Yes, which revolved around and reflected the light of an unseen "central fire"