why did we ever stop using screensavers??

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    screens are now capable of saving themselves, thank you
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Because we started using LCDs and they don't need "saved" like CRTs did.
  • yeah but screensavers were still a thing with like, Windows 98, and those didn't "need" screensaving either. They just had it cuz it was cool.

Personally I'm downloading the UNIQLO screensaver, those guys have their head on straight.
  • Guessing this without looking it up: as we switched over to more energy efficient, smaller monitors with faster startup times it became less of a necessity to keep the screen turned on constantly and generally it was recognized that turning the screen off instead of activating the screensaver was a better means of preventing screen burn-in in a manner that didn't use up as much power

don't know if that's exactly why, but I think it's a pretty safe bet
  • what i'm saying is we need to bring screensavers back

all of the windows 8 ones are lame, except Slideshow which is unintentionally hilarious at times
  • kill living beings
    central's right. screensavers were originally developed because keeping any image displayed on a CRT for very long will fuck up the phosphors and leave a burnt-in image. Newer monitors that can turn on and off more quickly make that an option too.

Microsoft is very committed to not causing users unnecessary harm not directly caused by themselves, and when Windows 98 came out plenty of users were still using CRTs.

anyway xscreensaver has some good ones.
  • edited 2016-02-04 06:24:13
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Jane said:

yeah but screensavers were still a thing with like, Windows 98, and those didn't "need" screensaving either.

?

(Also, screensavers are actually detrimental to the majority of LCD screens, since they force the backlight to remain on.)
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    sometimes i want a screensaver just to look at it but *shrug*
  • no need for a screensaver if you're never not at the computer
  • edited 2016-02-04 13:41:54
    Calica said:

sometimes i want a screensaver just to look at it but *shrug*

this

no need for a screensaver if you're never not at the computer

this too

but mainly this
    Tre said:

Guessing this without looking it up: as we switched over to more energy efficient, smaller monitors with faster startup times it became less of a necessity to keep the screen turned on constantly and generally it was recognized that turning the screen off instead of activating the screensaver was a better means of preventing screen burn-in in a manner that didn't use up as much power

i can simply have my screen auto-power-off
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I've always hated screensavers.

Except the stars one.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The development of DPMS in the early 1990s was pretty much the death knell for any screen saver that wasn't pretty enough to justify its existence. If the video card could turn the monitor off itself, that's one less thing you had to remember!
  • kill living beings
    didn't they sell the house
  • kill living beings
    the house with the maze in it
  • edited 2016-02-04 19:04:31
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ Is that a House of Leaves reference?
    they had to go in and explore the House, it was there!

Also, Windows Maze was always good fun.
    except that I would always think "this would be better with monsters you could shoot" and then I'd go play Doom instead
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • I was very confused until I saw what site that was on.
    I have a vague but amusing memory of my mother trying to explain screensavers to my dad about 20 years ago.

"I don't get it. If you're not using the computer, shouldn't you just turn it off?"

"But then you have to wait for it to turn back on again. If you're just getting up to get some coffee or something, it's just not worth it."

"I still don't get it."

"It's like this: when you go to bed, you turn the lights off in the living room. But if you're just going to the bathroom, you leave them on, because it's not worth the time to turn them off and back on again."
  • did your dad not own a credit card until the 21st century by any chance
    Decisions that made sense in 1990 that have had horrible implications ever since: making Windows screensavers regular executable files but with a ".scr" extension.

At the time that was probably the most sensible way to design such a thing, as opposed to having to deisgn some sort of "screensaver engine" that took non-executable files...but so much malware has abused it over the years by taking their malicious exe file and putting ".scr" on the end to pretend it's a screensaver.
  • kill living beings
    making random things executable was a bad idea in 1990 too
    Was it? I can't think of any other way you could do screensavers in the constraints of the computers of the time. It's not like you could have some massive pre-rendered video file or something on a 500 MB hard drive...
  • kill living beings
    you could, for example, make it executable but have it run under restrictions so it can't touch the filesystem
    True, true.

I have it in my head that the development of Windows 3 happened in a simpler time, when it was basically trusted that programmers would use computers responsibly and nobody foresaw the massive abuse that would happen.

But that's probably not the case.
  • edited 2016-02-12 19:04:54
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

True, true.

I have it in my head that the development of Windows 3 happened in a simpler time, when it was basically trusted that programmers would use computers responsibly and nobody foresaw the massive abuse that would happen.

But that's probably not the case.

Well, the first MS-DOS virus was 4 years prior, so.
    4 years doesn't seem like that long to me, but I guess back in the late '80s-early '90s that was like two decades in computer years.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    In the space of 4 years we went from 166MHz processors to 1.8GHz. :P
    Point taken.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Also 4 years is over a 6th of my life. :|
    You're an android, though, so you don't age. :|