I can't stand incandescent lightbulbs anymore

They get so unnecessarily HOT.

I don't know how I put up with that for so many years.

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    High-power compact fluorescent bulbs get pretty hot, too. I'll be glad when I can replace the ones in the kitchen with LED BR30s...they're the last CFLs on the top floor.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Fluorescent bulbs are horrible.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    CFLs get hot but incandescent bulbs get even hotter. Remember Easy Bake Ovens? Until the late 2000s, they used a regular incandescent light bulb to literally cook food.

I would like to switch to LED but my parents were pretty heavily into the CFL craze a few years back and they're pretty much everywhere in our house now, and I can't really justify the cost of replacing them all while they're still functioning.
  • Incandescents are good when you want a room to be hot I guess.

But yeah, we use mostly CFLs and I think they're mostly going to stay as is.  LEDs are the next step forward, but I'm loath to replace the CFLs especially since (1) there's no subsidy program giving us LEDs for free and (2) I use the lights at home rather conservatively anyway so there'd be less than the expected savings from it.

Still, good thing that they do have LEDs now, so we...wait, do LEDs contain any notably toxic substances like how CFLs contain mercury?
  • Yeah, LEDs are full of heavy metals.  Even the processing involved to make one makes its lifetime resource depletion on par with incandescents.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I only use natural light
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-01 20:41:24
    Honestly household lighting is a negligible drop in the bucket for sustainability.  The big consumers are all businesses anyway, and the average one-way work commute of 12 miles uses more power than your entire house for that day.

Even within your household, lighting is usually like, less than a tenth of your consumption.  Most of it is heating/AC and water heaters being left on all day.
  • edited 2016-02-03 04:32:56
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    What I'm wondering is where all the lead they found came from. Lead seems to have an almost supernatural way of getting into cheap tat from China, and I bet some of the big-box specials aren't entirely on the up-and-up when it comes to RoHS/Prop 65/etc. (I know I see Prop 65 warnings on plenty of extension cords and Christmas light strings these days.)

As for arsenic, GaAs was one of the first things they made LEDs from, and it's still pretty common (both in pure form and with various dopes).