Alexander/Alexandra
David
Elizabeth
Leon
Audrey
William
Pamela(NOT Pam though)
Katherine(but not Catherine)
Gabriel(I have met a disproportionate number of assholes named this though)
Martin
Samuel
Jacob
Alice
Elena

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    What about Al - oh okay, you're good.

Alexander/Alexandra

David
    Elizabeth
    William
    Pamela(NOT Pam though)
    Katherine(but not Catherine)
    Samuel
    Jacob
    Alice
    Elena
    Bolded for differing taste.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I knew somebody once named Katherayne, pronounced like it sounds.

I thought that was a cool name.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    what is your opinion on Catharine/Katharine
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i think it's cool that a girl can call herself cat.  meow.
  • Funny that you put Katherine and Gabriel together, my best friend and their boyfriend are almost exactly those two names (except that it's just Kate, not Katherine, and typically everyone calls him Gabe).
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Nicholas, Leonard, Wulfric, Ulysses, Richard, William, Walter, Werner
    Penelope, Vivienne, Jacqueline, Jennifer, Genevieve, Gwen, Olivia, Sophia
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Walter, Olivia, and Penelope are also names I like.

And Leonard.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Milo, Reiner, Borislav, Vladimir, Hyacinth, Myron, Cordelia (also: Cora, Delia), Minou, Diana, Mildred, Wolfgang, Adelai, Valentine, Georges, Maxim, Bartholomew, Violet, Ondine, Vivian, Conradin, Constantine, Tyler, Elspeth, Lucille.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Alyssa, Bridget, Audrey, Deirdre, Alexis, Zestpoole
    Oliver, Claude, Calvin, Ormund, Spencer, Tarmicle Roving III
  • not nearly enough lucy in here >:{

Lucille

well this is close at least
    Lucifer
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

Leon
    it's better spelled backwards imo

also Shiloh , Simon, Damien, Demitri, Alexander, and most gender ambiguous names
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Epitome said:

Leon
    it's better spelled backwards imo
    I was wondering if you'd say that.

Anyways: Charlotte, Rachel, Lily, Jane, Mabel
    "gender ambiguous names"

yes, these are good too
    I was almost named Damian, by the way.

Noël, Simon, Alexander, Elizabeth, Catherine, Walter, Dmitri, Charlotte, Lily, Oliver, Martin, William and Deirdre are all good to great, too.
    Crystal.
    Flowey
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    he already chose that name!
    lolz
  • im not going to click that link, because i know that it will be a trainwreck

i will take my time here to say that Emile is definitely the best name
  • it is many trainwrecks
  • i mean, im kiiiiinnnnnda assuming that the article will be vaguely classist and/or racist

though there will definitely be some terrible soccer mom names in there
    classist, yes

kind of sexist as well

they cleverly deploy the adjective 'white' in association with the listed names, so that accusations of racism may be deflected
    Deadspin said:

Luxx
    Lux(x) huh.
  • Not arguing sexist, at least.  But my first thought of most of them was white soccer moms.  Probably because I know three middle-class white families back home that chose names very nearly that bad and it's not difficult to imagine them having gone the extra mile of "why would you do that to your kid".
    i quite like the name Sky, which i know some people think is a bad name in the it's-just-a-word vein

my mum doesn't like it at all
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Drew Magary is not racist, though he did once call Shahid Khan an Indiana Jones villain
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I've always wanted to name my children the more impressive-sounding angel names, like Ramiel and Barakiel.

I'm no longer a Christian, but if I ever need a Christian name, those are the ones I'll go for.
  • I admit I prefer the names that don't stand out that much.  Probably because my full name sounds like an 1800's crotchety old man and I had to use a nickname for my entire childhood.  It works now that I'm an adult, but it did not help early on.

If I had a kid, I'd probably suggest Katherine or Matthew.  Or Schtolteheim Reinbach III.
    that article was hilarious
  • edited 2016-01-31 06:01:51
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

classist, yes

kind of sexist as well

they cleverly deploy the adjective 'white' in association with the listed names, so that accusations of racism may be deflected

I definitely agree with the sexist part but the last comment seems kinda presumptuous to me. From my impression of Magary's work, he seems to enjoy mocking "preppy white morons".
    maybe it was presumptuous, but i was feeling distinctly uncharitable because of the aforementioned sexism and classism
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I can understand. I just get mildly uncomfortable at statements like that. Not your fault, though.
    i admit that my first thought, on clicking that article, was "Sharpay, seriously?  After the High School Musical character?"

but perhaps they gave her an existing name, idk
  • the most common name I see criticized in those kinds of articles is "McKenzie" which is so weird to me because that's just a completely normal girl's name where I'm from.

surnames-as-first names are considered weird by a lot of people for some reason.

Anyway, those articles are stupid in general. Just don't name your child Naruto.
  • ofc I went to school with two people whose government names were Bubba and Billy-Bob and I'm sure that's hilarious to someone too.
  • anyway here are good names for your child, by me:

• Celery
    • Napstablook
    • Motherfuckin'
    • Smaller Dad
    • God
    • Chortle
    • Waka Flocka Flame
    • Idiot Majorio
    • John Deer Brand Tractor Equipment (sic)
    • The Triangle Trade
    • Fuck
    • Bellsprout
    • Weedle
    • Major Figures
    • Wooly Bully
    • 9/11 Was An Inside Jeb Bush
    • Highlighter
    • Jesus Crisco
    • Xerox
    • Zeno Clash 2
    • John 117
    • I Am Committing An Act Of Culture Jamming By Naming My Baby This
    • Balthazar
    • King Midas
    • Suck My Dick
    • Kooler Than Jesus By The Thrill Kill Kult
    • Max
    Napstablook~ <3
    Jane said:

the most common name I see criticized in those kinds of articles is "McKenzie" which is so weird to me because that's just a completely normal girl's name where I'm from.

surnames-as-first names are considered weird by a lot of people for some reason.

Anyway, those articles are stupid in general. Just don't name your child Naruto.
    i had never met anyone with the name McKenzie before, and technically still haven't, and it still sounds like a surname to me

but the other day i met a young man named MacKenzie, one of my coworkers commented that he had 'an amazing name'
    Honestly maybe this is cultural difference but i associate middle class with fairly conservative naming choices

traditional male first names, flower names for girls, naming people after their grandfathers or grandmothers or aunts or uncles

that kind of thing

no surnames or place names, nothing foreign that isn't widespread in English, very few gender-neutral options
  • Tachyon said:

Jane said:

the most common name I see criticized in those kinds of articles is "McKenzie" which is so weird to me because that's just a completely normal girl's name where I'm from.

i had never met anyone with the name McKenzie before, and technically still haven't, and it still sounds like a surname to me

but the other day i met a young man named MacKenzie, one of my coworkers commented that he had 'an amazing name'
    I feel like when I've seen it as a first name it's always been spelled "Mackenzie" with an A and lowercase K.

i can't actually remember whether the K was upper or lowercase, but there was definitely an 'a' in there
  • The names I like tend to be either gender-neutral or old-fashioned sounding.

I knew of one MacKenzie when I was in elementary school so apparently it's been around for a while.

I approve of Napstablook.
  • I have seen McKenzie MacKenzie and Mackenzie myself. 

Then you have like old Amish names. I live on the same block as an Amos.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-01-31 19:57:16
    I'll just throw this out there

I do know someone who deliberately named their kid after a High School Musical character

It's gonna be hella awkward when they find out where their name came from and they turn out to have better taste than their parents

Tachyon said:

Honestly maybe this is cultural difference but i associate middle class with fairly conservative naming choices

traditional male first names, flower names for girls, naming people after their grandfathers or grandmothers or aunts or uncles

that kind of thing

no surnames or place names, nothing foreign that isn't widespread in English, very few gender-neutral options

That seems like it was true about 20 years ago, and I fall directly into the third category.  But lately there have been a lot of terrible soccer mom names.  This might be Western Oregon and hippie proximity talking though.

Then again, last time I went to Nebraska there were a lot more terrible names than I remembered there too.  And while they're less uniformly white, they're also a lot more uniformly xenophobic and less likely to pick names they think sound black (even if they'd go to great pains to avoid directly saying it).  Basically, it's probably going to be either a stock Bible name, a weird new-agey one, or a very stereotypical redneck one, with very little middle ground.