Batman v Superman is going to be awful

official bitch thread
Tagged:

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've only seen, like, one commercial for it, so I don't feel qualified to carp just yet.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I hated its predecessor, and everything I've seen about this movie indicates that it is going to be a trainwreck
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Before I even clic... oh. Hmm. As you were, then.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Jesse Eisenberg Luther just kinda looks like a combination of Heath Ledger Joker and Kevin Spacey Luther, and it just doesn't work.
    I don't have faith in them being able to pull off that dopey Not Mark Zuckerberg persona
    Also, this movie feels like it's from ten years ago and not now
    Oh, so it will be good then
    to me it is ten years ago in the soupy, flavorless, corporate way
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonus said:

Also, this movie feels like it's from ten years ago and not now

it feels like it wants to be chris nolan but the director isn't as good a director as the guy playing batman so
    MoS made me hate Zack Snyder :n
    Also all the shit 300 appears to have done to our visual culture
    Zack Snyder is an excellent director, provided he's adapting someone else's material.
  • honestly it's hard for me to really pinpoint how I feel about Zack Snyder because he gets things right a lot but not enough to ward off the effect of his missteps

300 still gets points for me for its memetic status and the fact that it was the first R-rated film I remember seeing in a theater (with my dad) but I honestly can't say with confidence that it was a great movie. I'd have to watch it again to truly pass judgment and I figure the chances of it standing the test of time are pretty slim.

Watchmen was pretty good for what it was, but the problem with it was the fact that it was a two-and-a-half-hour blockbuster film and that wasn't enough time to do the comics justice. It probably would have worked better as a multi-part film or a miniseries. (The Ultimate Cut, which I haven't seen, is a whopping 215 minutes long!)

Sucker Punch... I haven't seen all of it, but what I did see was too incoherent for its own good. Had some killer action sequences, but the concept killed any possibility of them actually having weight. (Not sure if I felt the same way back when I was watching it, but the depiction of mental illness was not the greatest thing in the world either.)

Man of Steel was decent, but incongruous. It made very little attempt to match itself up with the public perception of Superman (colorful, larger-than-life, practically infallible, y'know, The Cape) and it almost felt like what would happen if you tried to make a Batman film with Superman as the protagonist as a result of that.
  • also, I'm firmly of the opinion that this film's premise is a horrible idea, especially as a means of introducing Affleck-Batman to audiences, and the reports of its cast make me feel like it's going to be all over the place in terms of story

like, I get how they could get Wonder Woman on board, but then there's Aquaman and Flash and Lex Luthor and Doomsday and ugh what the fuck

It's giving me an edgy crossover fanfic vibe. I may give it a chance once it's available on The Pirate Bay DVD, but I don't see myself rushing to the theater to catch it.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    In terms of Zach Snyder, I've seen 300 and Watchmen and they are absolutely not my thing.

If what Myr says about Watchmen being more faithful to the comics then people give it credit for is true, then it honestly makes me less inclined to read the comic.
    People leave out Dawn of the Dead
  • Haven't seen that one, so I can't judge.
  • Man of Steel was basically the Saiyan Saga trying to be a Nolan film.
    IMHO, Naruto was responding to rampant-planet destruction in DBZ by not having planet destruction.

It's a Deconstruction of DBZ's callous disregard for human life.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Watchmen the comic is really, *really* good, but a good chunk of the film is told in documents and flashbacks, which are very hard to translate to film. Even harder to bring over is the through-line about the history of comics in this alternate America where superheroes never became a thing in fiction because they were already a thing in real life.

That said, while tonally very Snyder (and this does take a toll on the message of the book), the theatrical cut of the film is, in terms of events and sequencing, actually very faithful to the main events and how they unfold. The big change is in the nature of the disaster in New York and who gets blamed for what, which both simplifies and complicates certain things. Apparently the three-hour version is even more accurate overall, and captures the feeling of the original book and that genuine deconstructive edge a lot better, but I can't say that for certain.
    We could stream it some time, but again, three hours
    then break it into pieces!
    I would be up for giving that version a chance.
    Three-and-a-half hours is honestly about on par with one of our anime streams, so...

I'm also all for an Inland Empire stream, personally.
  • Batman Vs Superman Vs Judge Vs Mom Vs Dad
    Just start talking at the sound of the tone...

Three-and-a-half hours is honestly about on par with one of our anime streams, so...

I'm also all for an Inland Empire stream, personally.
    It would probably be a good idea to break up the film into two or possibly three chunks for intermissions, though.
    I was thinking the same thing.
  • IMHO, Naruto was responding to rampant-planet destruction in DBZ by not having planet destruction.

you joke about this but I legit knew a guy that thought Naruto was super deep and symbolic
    Acererak said:

IMHO, Naruto was responding to rampant-planet destruction in DBZ by not having planet destruction.

you joke about this but I legit knew a guy that thought Naruto was super deep and symbolic
    I think if this person saw Hunter x Hunter, their head would explode. Or their reaction would just be really stupid.
  • Nah. Naruto had more villains that said pseudo-philosophical shit and angsted a lot.

I only remember a few HxH villains who were like that.
    I meant that in the sense that encountering actual depth rather than the illusion of depth in a teen action show would throw them for a loop if they weren't too thick or literal-minded to get it.
  • Oh.

...Eh, I think he was smart enough to understand the world-building. He had that going for him, at least.
    That's fortunate. I just find the whole "monologuing, therefore deep" thing a bit worrying.