When you're driving a car in a video game...

...do you tend to find yourself pushing up on the analog stick in addition to left and right?

I do. I know pushing upwards doesn't actually do anything but somehow it makes the left and right motions feel more natural to me.
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I think I often push up accidentally in many kinds of games.

Unintentional up-pushing has gotten raocow killed any number of times, so it's probably not just me
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I do, yeah.  I mean, you're driving forward!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Why not have a game where you have to find and drive to the hospital before your wife has her baby. Now THAT would be fun.
  • I think I used to, but I grew out of it? Which is a weird thing to grow out of.

Why not have a game where you have to find and drive to the hospital before your wife has her baby. Now THAT would be fun.

fund it!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Calica said:

I do, yeah.  I mean, you're driving forward!

• edited 2016-01-06 00:37:47
    kill living beings
    I used to do this in Mario Kart and stuff, based on the same sort of superstitious belief that would have led me to expose Pokémon cartridges to magnets

now that i think about it a GBA cartridge probably wouldn't be affected by magnets

hm
  • edited 2016-01-06 00:39:19
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i would put my doing it down to that i mainly play action-adventure/platforming games, so pointing the stick in the direction i wanna go is just habitual

it's the racing noob equivalent of when you're a kid, and you're playing with a controller for the first time, and you move the controller/your entire body in the direction your character moves
  • my second younger brother, Matt, who is like really good at video games--beat The Darklurker from DS2 on his second try good--still does that. I've even seen him get up and like do a little dance when things get particularly intense.

Kids
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I have not beaten Darklurker.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think part of it is that, if I'm pressing upwards on the stick, I just need to rock it a little bit to make it go left or right

Whereas if I'm not pressing up I have to just push left or right and it doesn't feel quite as natural
  • The only driving I do in games in on GTA V, and I drive motorbikes in that game, not cars.

And also I don't push up on the controller, only the accelerate button.
  • Part of the PC Gaming Master Race, so keyboard.

This is sort of related and something I was thinking about after playing through GTA: San Andreas and having various characters giving me crap about bumping into things all the time. It isn't that I'm a bad driver, you NPCs, there are reasons why I crash. Off the top of my head:

-Nobody else on the road ever signals when they're about to change lanes in front of me
    -I have no peripheral vision like a person in the real world does
    -When I go over a hill, the camera keeps pointing up for a few seconds even after I've started going down, so if somebody's in front of me then I won't be able to see them
    those hills in OutRun are always what gets me
  • See, I'm used to stuff like Diddy Kong Racing where pushing up makes you nosedive.