I really wish Boxing Day was a thing in America

After a month and a half of buildup, it's kinda lame that the holiday celebrations end after just two days. Give us the third!

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I find it increasingly absurd how people drive themselves insane with stress for a month or more for such a brief holiday.

I blame capitalism
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    what do you do on Boxing Day, anyway? play Punch-Out?
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    It's when the rich people give their servants and butlers a big gift, called a "Christmas box". Said servants and butlers also get the day off, IIRC, since they had to work on Dec 25.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, it's an odd little leftover from the really old tradition of masters and servants switching roles on the solstice in Rome.

That said, Christmas technically comprises twelve days, from Christmas proper to Epiphany, so celebrating for a full fortnight doesn't seem too silly to me. That my school often took us back as early as 2 Jan is almost obscene in that light, come to think of it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thankfully I'm in college now, where we don't go back until January 11th. Basically, I've got some free time.

It's just...I don't have anything festive to do anymore.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Well, not to be coarse, but that's on you girl. Personally, Christmas for me doesn't start on December 25th 12:00, and end within the day. It's an encompassing event, really; you just have to make it be the celebration you want.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Well, I mean, I can keep celebrating, but the people around me have already moved on, so it's not quite the same as when it was Christmas Eve and we stayed up till 2 in the morning playing Rock Band together, you know?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Just coax them into doing fun stuff for the sake of it. Enjoy the time you're spending together and revel in the season even if you're not still celebrating the holiday in itself.
    Good idea.

My parents wanted to play old NES games so I've been trying to set up a Raspberry Pi 2 with emulators to play on the TV but it's turning out to be a more involved setup process than I expected :v
    Family fun update: I got the Raspberry Pi 2 set up with RetroPie and a boatload of Nintendo roms I downloaded a few years ago and my dad is absolutely loving it. I knew he would!
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    :D