The words bara and shota

used to describe the more “dominant” or “submissive” person of the relationship

Comments

• are very stereotypical, homophobic portrayals of said characters. Most stories with the roles of bara, etc. don’t even try to cover things like homophobia, instead they use it as a plot device to spice up the plot. The word bara is specifically targeted at gay men, in relationships with other gay men, and fetishizes gay men. Most of the usage of the word is in the homophobic manga, and by fans of magna to describe their characters, more often than not, fetishizing them. All in all when people use this word (see; white fangirls), it’s to fantasize about their “bara body” and how hot they are etc. etc. Plus the fantasizing that takes place is mostly about Asian men, as that’s where magna originates/what most magna characters are, adding to the fetishization of gay men and now Asian gay men. Homophobic and racist. It’s just not anywhere near helpful to gay men (especially Asian ones), if anything it’s very harmful.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    this is funnier than it has any right to be
  • The word bara is specifically targeted at gay men, in relationships with other gay men, and fetishizes gay men.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ...this is the most culturally ill-informed thing I have ever seen in my life.
  • i can't believe im a fucking shota
    On top of being, uh... there are really no words.

I need to lie down already but now I need to lie down twice over.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    isn't it "seme" and "uke" (the latter word i remember from martial arts) that mean roughly dom/sub?
  • yes but that's a yaoi thing

i think that is what the OP was intending to talk about and they became very, very confused along the way.

this was about Undertale btw. somehow.
  • edited 2015-12-18 02:06:28
    kill living beings
    in a way, it's beautiful, much like six foot thick abs

...this is the most culturally ill-informed thing I have ever seen in my life.

qft / well maybe not the MOST. known a lot of weebs in my day
  • My dreams exceed my real life

"Okay, here goes...

I myself have always personally not been able to stand yaoi and similarly shounen-ai (at least the larger majority of it), not because I am anti-gay in any way or to any degree whatsoever, but more rather because I'm NOT anti-gay. In order to prevent to bringing on some exclamations of "you said what now?" accompanied by arched eyebrows in my general direction as a result of that statement, please permit me to explain exactly what I meant by that.

You see it's in fact because I'm so concerned about gay rights, the right for gays, lesbians and bi-sexuals (as well as the transgendered and transvestite) to be treated as equals, as in *exactly* the same as everyone else, that I tend to find myself put off, offended and sometimes outright disgusted by the very unrealistic depictions of gay characters and gay relationships in an overwhelming percentage of yaoi and/or shounen-ai series, fanfic, and doujinshi (especially doujinshi) out there.

The creators and writers behind yaoi manga/anime series (who are more often than not female, and after all yaoi/shounen-ai stories are written, drawn, and aimed predominantly at young girls and women), and especially their fangirls, tend to place more emphasis on the "kawaiibishounen" factor than anything else of any great relevance or significance that would actually make these characters out to be relatable, believable individuals who just happen to be gay, rather than just, glomping, oft-whiney and bitchy effeminate characatURES of gay/bi-sexual/ and/or cross-dressing men that they are. Fangirls and yaoi artists alike treat these "pretty bois" like pretty little highly glompable playthings for other equally as pretty boys or sometimes just overly manly and obnoxious men (the exact opposite end of the stereotyping spectrum, still not that better when you really look at it because these "beefy macho jerks" semes are still usually done as charactures all the same), that in reality seem to really serve more as playthings to the squeeing fangirls that adore, sometimes outright worship them. They provide a means of living out the romantic (and) or sexual fantasies of (mostly) teenage fangirls than anything else.

Canon Yaoi series typically consist of plots revolving around the perfect, extra pretty and youthful-looking Marty Stu character: the bishie who's the object of every guy gay or seemingly otherwise in sexual orientation that's around him's undying affection and desires (example: FAKE, everyone seems to want either Ryo or Dee, but mostly shy and virginal Ryo). As well yaoi/shounen-ai series are usually on one extreme or the other in terms of the type of story; being either filled with copious amounts of mostly cutesy (or "kawaii") happy smiling sushiney sugar-coated fluff (like Gravitation, the kind of stuff I personally find positively nauseating) or unbelievable amounts of laughably ridiculous and derivative angst and soap-operatic melodrama (love triangles anyone? Or WildeFyre's FAKE fanfic, for an even better point of reference concerning overloads of angst). Then there's the disturbing amount of stories that feature rape that the manga-ka/fanfic authors try and pass off as "relationships" between characters, whether it's a guy eventually coming to fall in love with his rapist (!!) or the popular and just plain utterly cliched rape/comfort stories out there (that exist mostly in fanfic, but there are canon yaoi series that make use of this formula as well that come to mind). And don't even get me STARTED on the dreaded, disgusting "shota" sub-genre. *deep shudders* I really do NOT want to hear any arguments in its defense or support, they're always all the same and they never excuse the inherent wrongness of depicting pre-pubescent little boys engaged in sex and being seen as objects of sexual gratification and fantasy. I feel exactly the same way about lolicon, I should note.

"In conclusion, I feel I have made it clear the many, multi-faceted reasons as to why I don't personally like most yaoi/shounen-ai and find myself constantly annoyed by the fandom surrounding it and its many pretty boy characters."

"In my own conclusion, I feel that there is many clear conclusions, that many multi-faced reason as to why most people are constantly annoyed by the fans that surround yaoi and it's many boy characters into it like VioXShadow link which in my preference, believe that people are gay for looking at it and it most likely contains many pretty boy characters."

Shaba da doo.

yes but that's a yaoi thing

i think that is what the OP was intending to talk about and they became very, very confused along the way.

this was about Undertale btw. somehow.
    wait, undertale?

???

????????????????
    how?

is there, like, some sort of frisk/asgore community or something because that's teh only way i can see that making any remote sort of sense
  • the person who was running the blog was complaining about some other blog and then went off on said blog having "bara" in their URL, so someone asked them what's wrong with the word bara and well
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Does shota mean what "twink" means?
    shota means a young kid, usually sexualized
  • the dude version of loli
    yeah that
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

the dude version of loli

and just as delicious!!

feel free to probate me for that one
    Jane said:

that's gross, Alice.

Mission accomplished!

...like I'm sorry but this is such an easy topic to troll people with.
  • Jane said:

that's gross, Alice.

Mission accomplished!

...like I'm sorry but this is such an easy topic to troll people with.
    I don't understand why you like grossing people--seeming me especially--out.

It makes me annoyed with you and not want to talk to you as much.
    Is that bad? I can lay off, I suppose.

I just kinda assumed the people who said they were grossed out were just playing along. >_<
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's not you especially, since she's done things she guesses will bother me too, and I play along. And, while fair, I'd just like to say it's more light-hearted playing around... even if, admittedly, this is one case in which I don't find the needling as funny.
  • Is that bad? I can lay off, I suppose.

I just kinda assumed the people who said they were grossed out were just playing along. >_<
    nah I've discussed this before but I actually am like really squeamish.

if I complained every time I were grossed out on here people would get sick of it pretty quickly.
    Alright, I'll give it a rest then.

I'd edit out the post but everyone's seen it now so there's no point.
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I'm seconding the Other Jane
  • you'll cowards
  • that is a shame, he seemed like a most upstanding crack dealer
    Both terms are used more broadly than that, particularly "shota," although this can be chalked up to misuse, bad impressions, or semantic slippage. (Seriously, any small androgynous male regardless of age or young boy regardless of whether or not they are sexualised will get called that at some point if you put enough insufferable weebs together.)
    But that's beside the point.

This person is really incredibly clueless.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-19 02:16:14
    Like, there's very much a point in gay characters getting fetishized in an unhealthy way that keeps them from being considered normal people and perpetuates their other-ness.  But...this person appears to have confused...a few things in the process.
    And they're using bara/gei-komi as an example.

Yaoi, sure, but bara exists as its own thing as much in reaction to yaoi as by its own momentum. They're really confusing their arguments in the most astonishing way.
  • Jane said:

Viper is a creep.

remember when viper tried to set up a removals company
  • sunn wolf said:

Jane said:

Viper is a creep.

remember when viper tried to set up a removals company
    he's a proffessional scam artist. Sometimes he posts on HHH asking for people to do music videos for him.