When you listen to Scott Walker once

Comments

• i think we all can agree on hating the republican wisconsin governor
  • edited 2015-12-15 13:07:50

I was going to add the collary that if anyone mentioned the governor of Wisconsin I would be highly annoyed, as deliberately mixing up the two has long since become tiring and unfunny
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    even now whenever I see the name without context, I have to prepare for both alternatives
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    What do you think of Blackstar anyhow?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

I was going to add the collary that if anyone mentioned the governor of Wisconsin I would be highly annoyed, as deliberately mixing up the two has long since become tiring and unfunny

i didn't even know there was a second important scott walker
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    There are multiple Scott Walkers?
  • Calica said:

There are multiple Scott Walkers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Walker_(singer)

Yep.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The Scott Walker that matters was a '60s balladeer and former member of the pop group The Walker Brothers. Since the early '80s he has released relatively few albums but what output has emerged since then, particularly the trilogy comprised of Tilt, The Drift and Bish Bosch, has been like nothing else on earth.

Some perspective:

The other Scott Walker will have little historical significance. The real Scott Walker—whose birth name is actually Noel Scott Engel—on the other hand, will probably remain hugely important in experimental music for decades to come.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

• Calica said:

You people need to...

Like...

I dunno.

Listen to music.
  • It would be better for me than listening to so much politics, but I'm going to ride this entire bottle of whiskey into hell
    The singer has actually been Scott Walker since before the other one was born, so to my mind he is the real Scott Walker. The other one is a poseur.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    That feeling when I actually get a musical reference that (a few others here) others don't, even before elaboration.
    Crystal is queen now.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i knew about the musical Scott Walker, but until recently i didn't know about the other one
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I knew it myself, of course, but I think Vash would expect me to, so...
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Crystal is queen now.

\o/ Small victories.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    plot twist: crystal is actually oasis
  • edited 2015-12-15 20:54:22
    I don't know much of non-classical music, but I closely followed details of of the 2011 labor protests in Wisconsin and various political events that were influenced by them (mainly the April 2011 state supreme court election, and the recall elections that ended in November 2011 and November 2012).

For what it's worth, as much as I hate him, he does currently have the non-disambig default spot for a Wikipedia lookup of "Scott Walker".
  • Also apparently the singer Scott Walker was originally known as Noel Scott Engel.

Meanwhile, the politician's full name is Scott Kevin Walker, so perhaps it might work to call him Scott K. Walker instead of just Scott Walker.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There goes GMH again, trying to solve nonexistent problems
  • edited 2015-12-15 21:09:58

There goes GMH again, trying to solve nonexistent problems

It's not a nonexistent problem when you have confusion between things

so I try to solve them by making less ambiguous ways of naming things

stop supporting the perpetuation of ambiguous naming

Also apparently the singer Scott Walker was originally known as Noel Scott Engel.

Meanwhile, the politician's full name is Scott Kevin Walker, so perhaps it might work to call him Scott K. Walker instead of just Scott Walker.

The singer has actually been Scott Walker since before the other one was born, so to my mind he is the real Scott Walker. The other one is a poseur.

• I wouldn't mind calling him "the false Scott Walker" either.
  • kill living beings
    Scott Prime
  • You people need to...

Like...

I dunno.

Listen to music.

this may be so but let's not act like Scott Walker is popular, dude's well known in some circles but he ain't exactly John Lennon.
  • Corvina said:

What do you think of Blackstar anyhow?

im really looking forward to this new Scott Walker album
    Jane said:

You people need to...

Like...

I dunno.

Listen to music.

this may be so but let's not act like Scott Walker is popular, dude's well known in some circles but he ain't exactly John Lennon.

Well, no, but expecting people to know John Lennon is like the barest minimum. Scott Walker was hugely influential in his early years, and his new stuff is notorious for completely different (or distantly related) reasons, so I thought it would at least ring more bells than the third worst Republican presidential candidate.
  • well Governor Walker is in peoples' minds right now and not everyone here is into music (nor is everyone here who is into music into the same kinds you are, I'm only vaguely aware of Scott Walker myself, I mostly know that his music is depressing in a way few things are).
  • It'd be like me being peeved cuz people don't know who MF DOOM is.

Like, it'd make sense if this were a rap forum, but it's not.

Likewise Scott Walker and uh, whatever genre you'd put him in.
  • Jane said:

It'd be like me being peeved cuz people don't know who MF DOOM is.

everybody and their mom knows who mf doom is
    But, like, the Walker Brothers were huge. Mondo huge. And he was their lead singer.

But yes, Scott Walker's music is very interesting. He has interesting taste in subject matter and some of the most imposing string arrangements this side of Ruggles and Penderecki.
  • Jane said:

this is really not true.

but OK, if you want a slightly closer comparison, Breeze Brewin'.
  • Okay, honestly, sorry for making the thread about Scott K. Walker the politician.

I am probably the worst person to comment in this thread because I don't follow non-classical music (at least non-classical western music, but even in the case of anisong I really don't know that much) much at all, but on the other hand I do closely follow downballot U.S. politics.
    Jane said:

Jane said:

this is really not true.

No, that's more like me going off about Jarboe's solo output or something.
  • But, like, the Walker Brothers were huge. Mondo huge. And he was their lead singer.

But yes, Scott Walker's music is very interesting. He has interesting taste in subject matter and some of the most imposing string arrangements this side of Ruggles and Penderecki.

I'm not denying that he's interesting it's just that it's kinda not cool to get mad at Glenn for not knowing who a semi-obscure experimental pop musician is.

"Huge" is relative here. Akinyele was "huge" for a time too, so were Nice N Smooth, so were Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz, so was Divine Styler, so were The Juggaknots, so was Company Flow, and on and on and on.

Okay, honestly, sorry for making the thread about Scott K. Walker the politician.

I am probably the worst person to comment in this thread because I don't follow non-classical music (at least non-classical western music, but even in the case of anisong I really don't know that much) much at all, but on the other hand I do closely follow downballot U.S. politics.

The Drift is, incidentally, probably of more interest to someone with a background in modern classical than in pop or rock music, conventionally speaking. You might want to check out "Clara" if you want an excellent example of modern art song.
  • Jane said:

As a candid response, I have never heard of MF Doom until this forum, and possibly this thread.
    Jane said:

But, like, the Walker Brothers were huge. Mondo huge. And he was their lead singer.

I'm not denying that he's interesting it's just that it's kinda not cool to get mad at Glenn for not knowing who a semi-obscure experimental pop musician is.

"Huge" is relative here. Akinyele was "huge" for a time too, so were Nice N Smooth, so were Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz, so was Divine Styler, so were The Juggaknots, so was Company Flow, and on and on and on.

Uh, dude.

The Walker Brothers were about as big as The Beach Boys. Their stuff doesn't get played as much now, but seriously.
  • Jane said:

Uh, dude.

The Walker Brothers were about as big as The Beach Boys. Their stuff doesn't get played as much now, but seriously.
    Were in the past tense, yes.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

this is really not true.

ok, you walk into a record store, there's a hip-hop section, the things that are gonna be right out front are:

* Kanye

* Nas

* MF DOOM

* Tyler, The Creator

at last in my experience 
    My point is, vaguely recognising, "Oh, there's a musician with that name, right?" doesn't seem totally implausible to me, and I also find it depressing that some right-wing scumbag apparently has a higher profile here than somebody who actually does something worthwhile for humanity.
  • edited 2015-12-15 23:48:19
    when i walk into a record store i either (1) ask if there's any j-pop and/or (2) bee-line to the classical section and look for the used CDs

i actually have done this in recent memory
    i bought three used CDs when I did that
    it costed me about $16
  • This bothers me because when met with ignorance about an interesting piece of popular culture, "oh you don't know what X is?" is not a good response.

Glenn mistaking the thread for being about Scott Walker--a man who is in the news pretty often and relates to one of Glenn's areas of interest--and not Scott Walker--an experimental pop musician whose earlier and at the time very popular work has sort of fallen into relative obscurity--is not that weird, and acting like it is bothers me because then we get into this classic nerd trap where we assume that everything we are personally invested in is common knowledge. There are people--quite a few, even!--who couldn't name a Rolling Stones album, much less tell you anything about The Walker Brothers. If that person is pretending to be a musical authority that's one thing, but that's not what's going on here, Glenn and y'all approached the thread from totally different axes.
  • My point is, vaguely recognising, "Oh, there's a musician with that name, right?" doesn't seem totally implausible to me, and I also find it depressing that some right-wing scumbag apparently has a higher profile here than somebody who actually does something worthwhile for humanity.

That is depressing, yes.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

this is really not true.

ok, you walk into a record store, there's a hip-hop section, the things that are gonna be right out front are:

* Kanye

* Nas

* MF DOOM

* Tyler, The Creator

at last in my experience 
    there are people who don't go to record stores and have no desire to do so
  • edited 2015-12-15 23:53:02
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^^ But, like, it's clear from the beginning post that this has nothing to do with the politician.

And I'm just really tired of bringing up Scott Walker and everyone talking about that other asshole who happens to have the same name. I don't want to talk about Jesus freak crypto-fascists, I want to talk about... whatever David Bowie is doing now. Or how great Tilt is.

^^ Thanks...
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

My point is, vaguely recognising, "Oh, there's a musician with that name, right?" doesn't seem totally implausible to me, and I also find it depressing that some right-wing scumbag apparently has a higher profile here than somebody who actually does something worthwhile for humanity.

adolf hitler has a higher profile most places than most people period