lunch charts

did you have these in middle and high school??

I just saw something on YuruYuri I haven't thought about in ages
[11:29:05 PM] Jane Grape: did y'all have those shitty fucking like
[11:29:10 PM] Jane Grape: lunch charts in middle and high school?
[11:29:40 PM] Jane Grape: like it would be like "ooh on Wednesday you get a fuckin, like, half a grilled cheese sandwich and some shitty tomato soup."
[11:29:52 PM] Jane Grape: "on Friday we just buy the old pizza from the pizza place a few blocks down"
[11:30:07 PM] Jane Grape: "on Monday you get French toast and a thing of milk because we suck"

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I thought that happened everywhere. I liked the sorta-variety, honestly.
  • our food charts always went out a full month
  • well I never had a school with like a good cafeteria so I always sort of came to loathe them.

Our high school did have a soft pretzel cart however (some of you may remember me talking about this back on Ye Olde TVTropes Forumme) and those were like a dollar, which was less than the actual lunch, so I often just ate those
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The various schools I went to did it different ways.

The school I went to from kindergarten to 3rd grade had a weekly lunch schedule attached to the school newsletter each week.

The school I went to for 4th & 5th grade had a monthly lunch calendar that went out each month.

And the middle and high schools just used the same schedule each month and put it on one giant fridge magnet they handed out at the start of the semester.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I always brought my own lunch to school
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    up through middle school, sure

in high school we had a pizza cart thing so I ate a lotta pizza
  • also basically the only drinks at my high school cafeteria were Gatorade--which is Gatorade--and Zimmerman's Iced Tea, which has an infamously high sugar and calorie count (shit actually hurts my teeth to drink).

VERY HEALTHY
  • how does that even happen

i mean, there are federal neutritional guidelines
  • how does that even happen

i mean, there are federal neutritional guidelines
    technically, they also had water.

and milk, which, I don't know where they got it from, but it wasn't very good milk.
  • edited 2015-12-13 04:49:43
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Should I recognize that tea name? Also, wow.

^ Not even good milk.........
  • their response to increased health regulation was basically just to add a vegetable of some sort to every meal. Usually it was a couple baby carrots or a few cuts of celery.
  • Crystal said:

it's a regional brand.

The Lehigh Valley's very own. Locally also known as "Zimmies" (their slogan is "Gimme a Zimmie", that's not a joke).
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I ate a lot of these in freshman year:

They were cheap and I knew I liked them more than whatever the actual lunch being offered was much of the time.
  • OH

the last year I was there we got like a good drink cooler, now that I think of it.

So that was good.

First three sucked though.
    Also there was a Pepsi machine in the cafeteria but federal regulations required them to turn it off during the lunch period because the government needs to pretend to care about childhood obesity.

So, naturally, I would always just ask for a hall pass (which I'd always get because the lunch teacher liked me) and walk to the other Pepsi machine at the other end of the school.
    I'd say "13-year-old Centie ate a shitload of junk food" but I still kinda do.

It's just that now I'm more aware that I'm doing it.
  • this is the most depressing thread ever honestly
  • the good drink cooler stocked Turkey Hill brand stuff (another regional brand if I'm not mistaken though one with a somewhat wider distribution) so it was a fairly wide variety of tea and juice.

That said it was often sold out by Friday because they only restocked it once a week. So by the end of the week it was down to Blueberry Tea and Cranberry Juice which no one liked.
  • actually a friend of mine would buy a couple teas at the beginning of the week, take them home, keep them in his fridge, and bring them back and resell them at a profit.

He got in trouble for that at some point.
    Turkey Hill is owned by Kroger, so we get their products up here in Ohio, too.

It was only since 2010 or so that we've had Turkey Hill-branded convenience stores in Ohio, though.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Jane said:

Crystal said:

it's a regional brand.

The Lehigh Valley's very own. Locally also known as "Zimmies" (their slogan is "Gimme a Zimmie", that's not a joke).
    Ah, that figures.

I erratically brought lunch from home.
  • Turkey Hill is owned by Kroger, so we get their products up here in Ohio, too.

It was only since 2010 or so that we've had Turkey Hill-branded convenience stores in Ohio, though.
    Turkey Hill buddies!

what's your favorite TH drink
    Crystal said:

Jane said:

Crystal said:

it's a regional brand.

Ah, that figures.

I erratically brought lunch from home.
    I did this fairly often too

even more often though I would just go to lunch after school and bum around at the library til it closed.

As sad as my life could be construed to be now, at least I have more to live for than Tony's Pizzeria.
  • did america ever have a Jamie Oliver Healthy School Dinners Revolution like britain did or do your schools all still serve total garbage? ours used to be that bad too but things got better now because there was this very high profile campaign led by Jamie Oliver which pointed out the total shit that kids were getting fed
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    We haven't. It's still in the same arena as prison food, and usually by the same suppliers.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    iirc didn't Jamie Oliver try to take his campaign to the USA and get told to piss off basically?

We haven't. It's still in the same arena as prison food, and usually by the same suppliers.

I don't remember much about what I ate in juvie but I remember thinking at least some of it was a bit nicer than what I got at public schools
  • edited 2015-12-13 19:32:43
    kill living beings
    school food was a la carte in high school

and supplied by sodexho which indeed also supplies prisons
  • edited 2015-12-13 19:33:52

@ this whole thread no wonder childhood obesity is a thing
  • kill living beings
    was there any doubt? I ate a lot of pizza made from reconstituted Styrofoam
  • though when I was an obese or almost obese child it was more due to stubborn resistance to the idea of exercise
  • god it is so nice to be able to run
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

iirc didn't Jamie Oliver try to take his campaign to the USA and get told to piss off basically?

pretty much, yeah
  • Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I remember that the lunch menu at my school was televised on the morning announcements
    nobody ever brought their own food, did they
    I mean school lunches are such shit, and you can opt out, so...why not?
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-12-13 23:57:11

Anonus said:

I always brought my own lunch to school

Same here, cold lunch all day every day (well, not really all day, but I think you get my point, haha). I used to trade swiss cake rolls for chocolate rice krispies treats back in the day though.

That said, those lunch charts do sound familiar. I think those may be standard for any cafeteria setting, since I remember seeing them at businesses/government buildings with cafeterias too...
  • Anonus said:

people can't afford it

Anonus said:

people can't afford it
    also a good point
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    And it takes too much time to make anything decent that will keep half the time anyway.
  • edited 2015-12-14 22:24:42
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Every school I went to up to and through high school had those damn charts. I pretty much ate what they gave me, since we were always broke, but sometimes the lunch ladies would do little things to make the experience a bit nicer (like putting seasoned salt on the fries at one elementary school I went to).

In high school, I was (still) on free lunch and didn't get to eat the kinda-like-fast-food the a-la-carte line served, so it was a good day when they were serving something good. Also, they didn't have seasoned salt, so the soggy baked "fries" were improved greatly by think, watery ketchup that was mostly apple cider vinegar (which happens to be good on fries). As for drinks, well, poor kids don't get to use the soda machine (and even the rich kids had to wait until after hours), so I drank a lot of chocolate milk.

When I was at Virginia Tech, I ate a lot of the cheap pizza they had at one of the dining halls. They also had all-you-could-drink cranberry juice cocktail, which was nice.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    And I have a love-hate relationship with those Tony's breadtangles. Sometimes I miss them, but other times I keep thinking of that one time one of the kids in my class kept telling me he'd spit in my food. :P
  • edited 2015-12-14 22:27:17
    Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    "Why don't you take a picture, Arnoldo, it'll last longer."
    "I was just trying to figure out what this green stuff is."
    "Who CARES what it is? It's green, it's on a dish, if you're gonna eat it, put it on your tray. If you're not gonna eat it, move along."