Why does everything have to be serious and/or dark these days?

And I mean EVERYTHING. At least everything people care about.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Star vs the Forces of Evil is neither serious nor dark
  • if anything, this trend has reversed in the 2010s

(finally)

some things are still under the Edgelord Curse, though, such as DC superhero movies.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Well, maybe this is the wrong thing to say, but I'm thinking about how every popular cartoon has an overarching story these days and/or underwent Cerebus Syndrome at some point. And it makes me resentful because I tend to avoid writing about drama, which is to my detriment. But I enjoy overarching stories, I just am shit at coming up with ones I find suitable.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it has been a well-known axiom since forever that tragedy is better than comedy
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    screams externally
  • what about We Bare Bears

granted that's newer.

did regular show start getting serious at some point?
    I don't know. I don't watch it really but @Tre does

screams externally

I'm sorry

I should frame my anxieties better
    Jane said:

what about We Bare Bears

granted that's newer.

The bears actually commited genocide last week, before hunting down a serial killer on the streets.
  • Jane said:

what about We Bare Bears

granted that's newer.

The bears actually commited genocide last week, before hunting down a serial killer on the streets.
    rip
    Are we supposed to believe that serial killing is worse than genocide
    Yes, exactly, that is my unpopular opinion.
  • Yes, exactly, that is my unpopular opinion.

im opinionshaming you
    what is this thread even about anymore

Yes, exactly, that is my unpopular opinion.

im opinionshaming you
    Fair
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the bears doing the genocide run
  • Anonus said:

what is this thread even about anymore

noon moon
  • Regular Show has a couple of continuous plot threads (mainly those having to do with Mordecai's love life, Rigby's to a lesser extent, and the character development of the cast as a whole, with Benson undergoing the largest transition over time) but it relies pretty heavily on the "thing in Mordecai and Rigby's life gets really weird before going back to normal" formula so they don't really go for any real overarching plot the same way that some of the show's contemporaries on CN have.

A few bits are played for drama here and there but it only dwells on that territory in the moment; the status quo is typically restored quickly so as to not dampen the mood.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, SVTFOE has an ongoing story arc, but I wouldn't describe it as a dark or serious show. It plays the arc for drama at times, yes, but it's mainly loaded with comedy.
  • steven...is a gun
    I think that might be part of the reason I couldn't get into RS very much

I like its sensibility, but most episodes have the same structure, also Rigby is an asshole
  • I wouldn't call him an asshole so much as just a bit too immature for his own good, but that's just me.

(Mordecai is no angel either-- there's been multiple moments where he's just as bad as Rigby gets, if not worse-- though the show is admittedly lax with his moments of petty behavior by comparison; for the most part, his character flaws get dumped into his romantic plot threads instead).