Central's Clocks (and other stuff too!)

edited 2013-02-03 22:41:22 in General
So, yeah, I collect clocks. Most of you probably already knew that, 'cause I post a picture of the "clock wall" every once in a while.

Today I thought it would be fun to go through and look at some of the clocks individually. I'd like to say each one has a story behind it, but most of them really don't.

This one is my newest addition. My brother bought it for me at a Dollar General this past Christmas.

And here's the very first one in my collection. My mother told me I should collect clocks like she used to when she was my age, so we went down to Meijer and got the cheapest one we could find.

I've always liked this one but unfortunately it doesn't work. I kinda want to try and fix it, but I've never gotten around to it.

This one was given to me at the same time as the previous clock. It does tick, but the second hand is bent downward so it runs into the minute hand and gets stuck. If I could figure out how to open it without breaking it, it would be easy to fix.

This one was given to me as an 18th birthday present by my uncle. It was the third clock in my collection and for a while it was the only one I set to the actual time.

Probably the most generic clock in my collection is this one. It's not very interesting to look at, but hey, it ticks, and it was only a couple dollars at Roses.

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I can't help but be a little envious...a clock collection would be rather appropriate for me.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I like the grape orchard one.
  • edited 2012-02-10 20:17:56
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Friday and  I have one kinda like those up in our kitchen. 

It has a picture of a cup of coffee on where the 3,6,9, and 12 hour marks are.

My brother and I once stared at it for about two minutes and shouted "COFFEE TIME!" every 15 seconds.

I should snap a photo and share it like I need to share photos of my remotes...

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Last week, one of my classmates made a clock to replace the broken one in the lecture room of our science building. It's a blank clock with a clay background. The color of the clay's surface changed depending on how hot it got when it was baked, and it came out this really nice mixture of red and blue. It looks like something you'd see on the Hubble telescope.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-02-10 22:02:07
    Hey, CA, do the rest work? And do they display the correct time?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Of the ones I posted, all of them work except the two I mentioned didn't (the big wooden one and the little magenta-ish one). I have a couple more that don't work, but most of them do.

And no, I don't bother setting the time on them. Partly because I like the kinda 'random' look, and partly because trying to keep 20 or so clocks in sync would drive me insane.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Oh hell yes.  Best thread.

I like the Robeson one, and the one with the grapes.

Will you be posting more, CA?

(Also, I noticed "one for every hour". XD)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thanks.

I do intend to post more, once I've taken more pictures. Which, hell, I might as well do now, since I've got nothing better to do.
    Yay!
  • I used to collect clocks.

Then I took an arrow to the knee.

I don't know why I said that just now. Anyway, cool clocks Central Avenue.

• edited 2012-02-10 22:44:50
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Here's a few more:

This one was our living room clock for a few years. The way it's shaped makes it really hard to mount properly, so it constantly gets knocked down--notice the big chunk broken off of the left-hand side.

Wheel of Fortune clock. No real story with this one; just saw it at an Ohio Thrift Store and thought it was cute. Note that $300, $600, and $900 correspond to 3, 6, and 9 o'clock, with 12 being "Free Spin".

This one is probably in the worst condition, of the clocks I have. It's very scratched up and there's a huge crack in the front plastic. There's no battery in it, so I can't remember if it works.

A rather fancy-looking clock that unfortunately seems broken beyond repair. I got this one at the height of my Homestuck obsession, which is why it's constantly set on the time it is.

(Ignore the random paper taped to the wall, it's covering a license plate with retroreflective sheeting that kept screwing up the lighting in the photos)

And finally, one of those fake pendulum clocks with a battery-operated pendulum that's just for decoration. My mother actually picked this one up for me at a garage sale in Newnan, Georgia, along with a tabletop clock I'll show in another update.
  • A rather fancy-looking clock that unfortunately seems broken beyond repair. I got this one at the height of my Homestuck obsession, which is why it's constantly set on the time it is.

I hope I don't offend you when I say this, but I think that clock is actually from K-Mart.

I have one almost identical to it in my kitchen. The difference being the one I have is a more goldish color.

Pfft, I said "fancy-looking", not "expensive". :P

It was actually in a box of random clocks given to me by my mother's friend, and it does indeed feel like cheap plastic. (Albeit really thick cheap plastic compared to some of the other clocks)
  • edited 2012-02-10 22:58:39
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Clearly the reason it doesn't work is because Slick destroyed the movement. :p

It is fancy-looking.  Is the brass-looking chapter ring separate, or is that metallic paint?
    It's just painted that way.

I wonder if I could buy another movement for it and make it work again. I know Michaels sells quartz movement kits intended for building custom clocks, but this particular clock seems to have a weird oversized one, compared to the others I've seen. (Which is weird, as the actual clock portion of it is relatively small.)
  • If it is from K-Mart, it's probably overseas manufacture (likely Chinese), merchandise cranked out by those kinds of factories is generally pretty poorly made, and difficult to find parts for. As a rule of thumb.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Michaels is way cool.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm still jealous of your road trip, CA. I didn't do anything fun that summer.

/Broken Record
    Last I checked, I have about 28 clocks. So I've got one for every hour plus four for tomorrow!

Anyways, here are a few more:

A glass clock I got for my 21st birthday.
    Sometimes I'm tempted to set this one to Denver time, because it's the one right above my desk.

An old electric clock like you might find in a classroom.
    This is the only clock in my collection that's not battery-operated.

A small battery-operated alarm clock. Also, Pinkie Pie is watching you.

A neat little table clock. The other of the two clocks purchased by my mother at a garage sale in Georgia.

A wall clock that has seen better days. At least this one still works!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That last one: how old is it, do you think?
    I noticed the red clock in the bottom right corner of the last picture. I'm not sure why, but I like it.
    I like the table clock. Looks quite sharp.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    I dig the kind of clear one because it's kind of clear and I love stuff like that.
    That last one: how old is it, do you think?
    I have no idea. It's probably not that old, but it looks like it was probably carelessly shoved in a garage or something where someone let it get all scratched up. It was among the box of random clocks with the two broken ones from yesterday.
    I noticed the red clock in the bottom right corner of the last picture. I'm not sure why, but I like it.
    Heh, I'll probably include a full picture of that one next time. I broke it but it still works...mostly.
    And now I'm imagining CA as either a clock-based superhero or building herself a robot/AI friend that has clock powers.
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    Or BOTH
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ...You have a clock wall?
    The table clock and glass clock are pretty.

I liked the red clock, too.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh wow, that GE clock is an old Telechron synchronous, I bet. Clocks that use synchro motors don't tick; they have a smooth-sweeping second hand like a Rolex.

They're kind of hard to find these days, mainly because no one makes them that way anymore -- you generally only see synchro movements in mechanical timers for washers and such now. Everything else is quartz.
    I used to love those sweeping second hands as a kid, when I would see them in schools and businesses. I remember being disappointed when the addition to my middle school (around 2001) had only quartz clocks.

I found that one at a Goodwill store in 2008. It was $8.99, and there was NO WAY I was leaving the store without it. I should actually post a better picture of it once I get some batteries in my camera; the one I posted before shows it all dirty and dusty but I've cleaned it up now.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I remember the clocks at some of my schools making a distinctive "chunk" sound when the minute turned over. I'm pretty sure those were stepper-motor clocks, of the sort Amano makes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-02-24 22:29:59
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Guess what time it is? That's right, it's clock time!

This one was the second clock in my collection. As you can see, it's just a black version of the first clock in my collection--at the time, Meijer offered their cheapest clock in white and in black.

A small orange one I got during a "back-to-school" sale at Wal-Mart. I actually knocked this one down once and broke it--you can see the second hand sitting at the bottom--but surprisingly enough, it still ticks and seems to function properly!

A clock made from a recycled record.

There's no real story behind this one. It's just a clock. It ticks and stuff.

A clock shaped like the wheel of a sports car.
    This one was a Christmas gift a few years ago. Note the hour hand is shaped like a wrench.

And finally, as a bonus: A bad photo of the digital alarm clock I've had since I was 5. Yes, I keep it on top of a cable box that already has the time on it, because I can't read the cable box's tiny display from bed without my glasses on.
    About the clock made from the recycled record...

We used to sell those at my store, just as a cheap novelty item...

Some rednecks bought one...

And returned it because it wouldn't play on a record player.
    ADJHOIJFOIJFOIJAIMAKDSLKLKCMLKCMSKCS
    I think I used to have a digital alarm clock like the last one. If I were moving to a new place and found a clock like that, I would definitely use it.

The one made of the recycled record is pretty cool, too.
  • ^^^ When it comes to cluelessness, that has to be some kind of record.
  • edited 2012-02-24 22:53:37
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    No Haven, even your puns don't make it better.

I don't know why it annoyed me so much.

AHDFBHIFBIBEBHBHBHRBHBHIR

wow that's awesome

COFFEE TIME!

• I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I totally read the topic title wrong. *is serious*

That would be pretty concerning...
    Central's Blocks? WTF?

I KNOW! WHAT IF SHE WAS A BLOCK COLLECTOR?! THAT WOULD BE FREAKY!
  • It'd be so weird we'd have to block it out.
    It's been so long since I've done one of these that I actually had to go around with a pad of sticky notes and mark which clocks I've already posted so I don't end up with duplicates...you'll actually be able to see them in a couple of these photos. :P

A silver clock, in the same style. Target sells these relatively cheap so I have quite a few of them.

A large pink clock purchased from Roses. This is one of my favorites of the set, because...y'know, it's pink!

A "vine" clock found at a Goodwill Store. Oddly enough, this is the only one I have that bears Roman numerals.

And, probably the most interesting of this set, a clock with the hours spelled out as words instead of numerals. This one has always amused me; when it's right on the hour the hour hand frames the word.

Now the bad news: After this post, there are only four clocks left on my wall I haven't shown off yet. Don't worry, though, because after that I plan to do a bonus post with the clocks elsewhere in my house!