I have watched two episodes of Jem and the Holograms

Anyone who tells you that new movie ruined it is fucking lying.

This was already ruined.

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    From episonde 1
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I dunno, holograms are just more interesting than Youtube.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I never thought any different.

The Misfits' songs are at least good, right?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Having not seen the show, the idea that Youtube can be a stellar-fusion creation agent (translation: it'll make you a star!) is not something that I can buy.

Maybe I'm old and jaded, but to me, all Youtube is, is a counterweight with which you can use to leverage star power into more star power and take you out of this damn gin-smelling Youtuber town and into lower Hollywood, where the Real Action Is.
    Every song in Jem and the Holograms is at least 80% mindlessly repeating the song's title.
    baby baby baby ohhhhhhh

The more things change, eh, folks?
    Baby by Justin Bieber is like a fucking Yes song in musical complexity compared to any given song in Jem.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I was lead to believe that the Misfits songs were at least somewhat clever.

I guess I was wrong.
    They might in the episodes I didn't watch.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's an 80s cartoon, those are only good through the nostalgia lens.

I say this as someone who liked 80s cartoons.
    I have a high tolerance for bad cartoons, but Jem is so aggressively bland it's not even interesting when it should be.
    if you were, like, six years old or so you might think differently

well, I did
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i heard this cartoon has a villain named eric s. raymond which is the funniest shit ever imho but aside from that don't really care
    Calica said:

i heard this cartoon has a villain named eric s. raymond which is the funniest shit ever imho but aside from that don't really care

His name is Eric Raymond, and I do not believe he is ever given a middle name.
    still the funniest shit ever
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Crystal said:

looking at this takes me back to whenever Boomerang would play some duedly boring '70s cartoon (which was often)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    except if it's the '70s his eyes' sclerae would need to match his skin color
    It's good for an aesthetic, though one utterly unlike my own. What sort of aesthetic I'm not sure, but it's there.
    I remember there was an episode where one of the Holograms befriended one of the Misfits

that episode gave me warm fuzzy feelings for some reason
    Crystal said:

It's good for an aesthetic, though one utterly unlike my own. What sort of aesthetic I'm not sure, but it's there.

If the movie had embraced the cheesy eightiesness of it, while giving it a more well-developed cast, and plot, it might have been pretty good.

It didn't though.
    I meant the picture, but all of Jem does count, yeah.

While searching for pictures I saw a lot of complaining about the movie, though little of it was stuff I could get behind, like what you just said.