Categorical Imperative

Identity of Indiscernibles

Golden Rule

Silver Rule 

Comments

• Golden Ratio
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    unreservedly, none of the above

on the face of it i find the principle of sufficient reason and the categorical imperative the easiest to reject outright

however i don't feel confident in picking and choosing from these as i definitely do not understand all the concerns involved
  • I accept the first two in the context of mathematics, and the last two as a generally good starting point but not final word in ethics.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Bronze Rule
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tachyon said:

unreservedly, none of the above

on the face of it i find the principle of sufficient reason and the categorical imperative the easiest to reject outright

however i don't feel confident in picking and choosing from these as i definitely do not understand all the concerns involved

I think "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "do not do unto others as you would not have them do unto you" are pretty good basic premises, though, even if they are more complicated than they seem.
  • Bronze Rule

/me bangs a pouch full of copper coins on a table at the inn

/me points angrily at poster advertising a dragon-slaying adventure

/me throws middle finger and angry face at persons who look like adventurers who'd stereotype dragons as being Always Chaotic Evil
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i guess i gave kind of a cop out answer

first two are logical principles and whether or not they hold depends on what you're modelling, i think

principle of sufficient reason just seems to me like an unfounded assumption, albeit one we all tend to make

categorical imperative seems to ignore the fact that different people have different needs and circumstances and what applies in one situation need not apply in another

identity of indiscernibles is a bit unintuitive but Black's symmetric universe thought experiment seems quite convincing to me, and furthermore i think this *might* (i don't know a lot about this, despite the username) be supported by quantum mechanics

and the golden rule and silver rule are, yes, pretty good, but subject to similar issues to the categorical imperative, though this may depend on how flexibly you're willing to interpret them