Where the fuck did Vice come from?

edited 2015-12-06 09:17:22 in General
Like, sometimes stuff from Motherboard gets linked here, but apparently, Vice Media is much, much bigger than I'd imagined. Bigger than Gawker or Vox Media or Slate, things I am actually familiar with. And the company's CEO is riding a huge wave being fed into by a flurry of Big Media investments. They're launching a whole TV channel.

Nobody told me this company was this much of a juggernaut!

Comments

• It was birthed from a primordial cauldron of kombucha
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's the opposite of virtue
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    also it's inherent
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    For real: Am I too out of touch?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't know where Vice came from either, and honestly, don't really care.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-12-06 15:13:33
    It was a magazine operating out of Montréal, that later moved to New York (eventually Brooklyn) and grew from there.

Also I know I'm not supposed to play favorites with the companies I'm interested in working for, but Vox is where I hope to eventually land a spot at because they're consistently great at reporting in the areas I'm interested in covering
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    gavin mcinnes was the founder i think?

also they've done shit like embed with daesh
  • edited 2015-12-07 04:43:39
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    According to Wikipedia, McInnes was one of three along with Suroosh Alvi (documentarian guy) and Shane Smith (web guru guy) who founded the magazine as Voice of Montréal back in 1994; the name changed in '96 when they changed publishers. They were originally a kind of counterculture youth magazine.

And yes, Vice Media is a powerhouse. It's pretty damned impressive.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm aware of the indie magazine roots, I'm just weirded out at how BIG Vice Media is and how little contact I have with any of their outlets. I also can't tell how much of it is genuine and how much of it stems from Shane Smith being really effective at convincing Big Media entities to give him money.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The documentary thing is Alvi's doing, and I think that and stuff like Motherboard is what made them so big. There are things they do that few other people do and other things that a lot of other people do that they just do better, or with at least some added pizzazz and/or gonzo absurdity.
  • i am unfamiliar with this thread's topic but at least i have some idea what the subject is