Authentic relics are considered less cool than pastiche

edited 2015-12-07 05:25:25 in General
Why?

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    The real head of John the Baptist is holier than a replica, duh.
  • edited 2015-12-06 04:39:52

the pastiche serves as a method of distillation, using hindsight to find the things that made the thing good, while cutting out the parts that were awkward or bad in retrospect
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    nobody wants to know that all the old handguns circulating in the Japanese Pacific States are counterfeit
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it's like how the revivalist thrash metal all sounds the same because it's just the good parts of the old thrash without the more out-there experiments

but, this has nothing to do with anything
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    could you be a bit more specific?  because on the face of this, this seems to be false
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I don't know, like the notion that the new Turner Broadcasting logo is "cooler" than the old one in its retroness.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I also notice a certain lack of pastiché in, like, how no "fast food chic" restaurants exist that look like older McDonald's inside or anything.
  • re: The new Turner logo:

the pastiche serves as a method of distillation, using hindsight to find the things that made the thing good, while cutting out the parts that were awkward or bad in retrospect

This is the new one's appeal in a nutshell.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    when i hear 'relic' i usually think of, like, old ruins and other material artefacts, usually centuries old, hence my confusion here.

i don't really have an opinion on the actual topic of this thread since i don't know enough about it.

incidentally i have never seen 'pastiché' written with an accent before.  i guess that would be 'pas-tee-shay'.  is that a common use?  i've always said 'pas-teesh'.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    It's pastiche. The plural is pastiches. It's the French version of the Italian pasticcio, which was used in English even earlier and has slightly different connotations. There is no acute accent in any version that I am aware of.

And the premise of this thread is pure tunnel vision, although the beau is correct that when it comes to media, pastiche/tribute can be constructive.
  • Tachyon said:

could you be a bit more specific?  because on the face of this, this seems to be false

i'm not sure how you get this thread enough to make a determination that the subject is false

what exactly is a pastiche (a cobbled together mess of stuff) that is contrastable with an authentic relic?
  • edited 2015-12-07 07:32:04

Noun

pastiche ‎(plural pastiches)

1. A work of art, drama, literature, music, or architecture that imitates the work of a previous artist.
    2. A musical medley, typically quoting other works.
    3. An incongruous mixture; a hodgepodge.
    4. (uncountable) A postmodern playwriting technique that fuses a variety of styles, genres, and story lines to create a new form.

Oh.