What is the appeal of Soylent?

124»

Comments

• edited 2015-11-30 20:25:38
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Crystal said:

I'm really not a fan of how patronizing that article is, never mind how it overcomplicates what are, to me, overall basic and easy things to do (provided you can walk on to the store and get all that you need for meal prep, etc).

I'm not very hot on Soylent, since it's just not my style, but some of those arguing against it definitely aren't convincing me that it is Just Bad, or what-have-you. Of course it'd be better without mold or risk of mold, which is just kinda dumb.
    On a second read-through that was primarily sleepiness and some of the phrasings just striking me as childish, or the humor annoying, or a bit of it reeking of unidentified privilege (I know I certainly can't just walk away for 5-30 minutes and get what I need for all of my meals), all of which is unconvincing even if I'm more or less agreed with you.

That's not the point though, and I half-wish I elaborated more earlier, but I was busy. Rhinehart is a seriously tedious person, and encapsulates multiple issues I have with certain types of engineering folk; but Soylent, and products like Soylent, are good for what they are. I'm sympathetic to Rhinehart's reasoning for using Soylent (and can't bring myself to care if people even want to go full Soylent), just not the lens through which he views his product, or execution of it. Some of the folks that have mocked him have also been rather tiresome, as Calica referenced earlier.

Ultimately it's only tangentially relevant to me since I'm never going to use stuff like this. And if it works - which it does regardless of who is making it - then it works, so I can't fault it in that regard, even if I would go elsewhere. These products serve a fine niche for people who view food similarly, or are similarly neurotic. That's aight.

Oh, hi pagetopper.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I was being pedantic, which passes for a joke in these parts
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    personally right now when i have no spoons instead i just stick a pita bread into the toaster and use it to eat hummus

just a tip
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-01 07:12:21
    why would you eat pure hummus with a spoon

its supposed to go with other stuff

i mean fuck just get some chips or something
    did you miss the words "pita bread"
    oh, you're confused by the way i used the word "spoons", that basically means "energy"
  • Wait, what?

*googles*

• Wait wait.

Alakazam has two spoons

Kadabra has one spoon

Abra has no spoons and is always asleep

OH MY GOD
  • kill living beings
    good mnemonic
    Bee said:

Wait wait.

Alakazam has two spoons

Kadabra has one spoon

Abra has no spoons and is always asleep

OH MY GOD
    holy fuck
  • i think spoon theory needs to be made more complex

work some gold spoons into that shit
  • platinum spoons

diamond spoons

unlockable novelty spoons