Router passwords

What are you supposed to do with these? They always default to username "admin" and password "password", and if it was a router I bought myself, I'd just change it, but...if you're using the ISP's router? I dunno. Last time I changed the password on an ISP's router there was a big ordeal the next time Dad called for tech support because the technician was telling him to use "password" as the password and I'd changed it ages ago.

The only thing I can think of would be changing the password then slapping a sticker on the front of the router with whatever I changed it to...
Tagged:

Comments

• kill living beings
    usually routers come with such stickers now, in my xperience
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Incidentally, this is not always the case, which caused me much consternation when I tried to do some port forwarding. Turns out it was, indeed, just that combo for our service.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's worth noting our "router" is actually a monster of a thing that tries to combine the cable modem, the wireless router, the DVR, and the landline phone stuff all into one big unit:

So it's, uh, not quite as convenient as the little Netgear routers or whatever you can buy at Wal-Mart but it definitely gives the most reliable wireless performance of any router we've had over the years, so I'm not about to run out and buy my own...
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Same. The one we got from Comcast is a beast.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't know my router password
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I decided to just change the password and write it on a sticker on the box itself.
  • usually routers come with such stickers now, in my xperience

This.

Mine came with a password default that was set to something like "twirlingpearl15" or something.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

"twirlingpearl15" or something.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    More like twearl.
  • edited 2015-11-29 23:12:14
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The Verizon router I have is one of the older N models (I have my own AC router, so Iadded it to the N over GbE as an access point), and both the Verizon router and my router have the default wireless passwords on a sticker.
    To clarify, I'm talking about the setup password, not the wireless password.

The wireless password was set by WOW and we've all got it memorized at this point.