The 2010s vs. the 2000s

The damned Coke Freestyle machine at the Burger King we just dined at made me think of this.

Mother told me that in 20 years, Coca-Cola might well be a thing of the past, for we live in more health-conscious times. I notice that the 2010s are much more health-conscious and generally socially aware than the previous decade, which is, to me, both good (because in the 2000s fucking EVERYBODY was a Bush supporter) and bad. The bad, at least to me, is that we as a society seem to have swung away from complacent hedonism (the hedonism better than the complacency). The world I grew up in is rapidly disappearing, for better or for worse.

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i kinda doubt coca-cola is dying
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm not sure what to make of any of this, somehow.

Coca-Cola, and even Pepsi, are such American institutions that I can't imagine they'd disappear over the course of a couple decades. Their flagship beverages might decline in popularity as people look to healthier alternatives, but they're certainly not going away...
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    People also say tackle football might substantially change or go away in a couple decades, and now, that doesn't look like the case!
    A lot of people make BOLD predictions.
  • things don't die, they just change
    i mean, the thing people compare a possible decline in popularity in american football to is the former popularity of boxing, and fuck, a lot of people still somehow gave a shit when the wife-beating dude punched out the filipino guy
    And a lot of people oohed and ahhed at the celebs present, like flies to shit.
    Or at least the press did, because Hollywood loves hearing about itself.
  • edited 2015-11-28 00:56:53
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    On one hand so much of this is stuff I simply don't pay attention to and/or don't care about, on the other I somewhat get what you're saying (the 'complete complacent hedonism' bit confuses me for example).

Mostly I think you're looking at it through too narrow a lens. Hollywood is Hollywood is a disgusting place that's only one very small part of the States geographically, and despite how much it encompasses still only encompasses so much of, well, media in general.

Coca-Cola and Pepsi, right now, are unfortunately too big to fall. I don't see that changing, just because they're just so huge. Likewise for Hollywood. While I'm sympathetic to the corner of the world you grew up in changing, I think you're exaggerating at least a little bit with this. Or not being broad enough. Or both. Again, only like 70% of that I followed.
    Complacent hedonism.

Maybe I am exaggerating.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oops, I misread. Still a little tired I guess. Although my confusion still stands.
  • Calica said:

i mean, the thing people compare a possible decline in popularity in american football to is the former popularity of boxing, and fuck, a lot of people still somehow gave a shit when the wife-beating dude punched out the filipino guy
    I literally slept through that fight
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "because in the 2000s fucking EVERYBODY was a Bush supporter"

if I remember correctly, dude had one of the lowest approval ratings in recent history

I mean, seriously
    his approval ratings took a nosedive after katrina iirc
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Everybody in the world drinks Coke in some form or another and if they haven't yet then they will.

The world changes and you shouldn't let it bother you.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    MachSpeed said:

Everybody in the world drinks Coke in some form or another and if they haven't yet then they will.

The world changes and you shouldn't let it bother you.
    Nope.