IJBM: Meter Cheaters

"ONE VEHICLE PER GREEN" means one vehicle per green.

It does not mean "it's ok to piggyback on someone else's green as long as you go real fast before it physically goes red again."

:|

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    where does this exist
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have literally never seen that before.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Meter Cheaters, the name of my next experimental math rock outfit, seeking to bring edutainment music to children and deep music to the masses.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

I have literally never seen that before.

Really? Do they not have ramp meters in Pittsburgh?

The idea is that it staggers the flow of cars onto the freeway so you aren't jamming up the freeway with a steady stream of traffic trying to merge all at once.
    I should perhaps clarify that they don't run 24/7; most of the day they're sitting on a constant green and it's only at rush hour that they go into stop/go mode.
    I've never seen them in Pittsburgh.

In Pittsburgh, merging onto a freeway is basically "just go and hope for the best"
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Related: people who piggy-back on a car at a 4-way stop instead of waiting for their turn. 

Also, usually I've just seen them turned off entirely rather than sitting on green. There's often a "ramp metered when light is flashing" sign before you reach the meter here.

Also, usually I've just seen them turned off entirely rather than sitting on green. There's often a "ramp metered when light is flashing" sign before you reach the meter here.
    IIRC both turning it off and keeping it on a steady green are valid ways to indicate it's not in use. Ohio used to just turn ours off but as of a couple years ago they use the steady green instead.